Formula to subtract 1 if 2 of 2 criteria are met...

Sleeplol

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,

Would appreciate some help with this formula.

I'm attempting to subtract 1 day from the date (Column A) based on 2 criteria: (Column C value = "Nigh Shift" and (Column B time is between H1 and H2.
If both of these criteria are met then Column D should read Date - 1 day. If only 1 criteria or no criteria are met then Column D date should equal Column A date (Column E is what I am going for).

So far I have this formula:
IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("Night Shift",C2)),IF(AND([@Time]>$J$1,[@Time]<$J$2),[@Date]-1,""),A2)

Which seems to work sometimes; don't know what happened with rows 3 and 4 lol

Example2.jpg

Also, I swear I posted this question, but I when I went to update it I didn't see it in my threads. Please be merciful if it is found..

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
In the formula you provide you appear to be checking the time against J1 & J2 yet in your sheet it appears to be in H1 & H2.
What happens if you change your formula to H1 & H2 rather than J

Upvote 0
In the formula you provide you appear to be checking the time against J1 & J2 yet in your sheet it appears to be in H1 & H2.

Hi Gordsky,
Yes you're right. I had since deleted a couple columns and neglected to update the example formula.
The formula in Column D is IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("Night Shift",C2)),IF(AND([@Time]>$H$1,[@Time]<$H$2),[@Date]-1,""),A2) and skipping rows 3 & 4

Upvote 0
what about something like this
Excel Formula:
=IF(AND(B2>H1,B2<H2,C2="Night Shift"),dateadd("d",-1,A2),A2)

Upvote 0
Hmmm, I think I noticed an issue in the second if function I had a double quote in stead of refing A column
New formula is:
IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("Night Shift",C6)),IF(AND([@Time]>$H$1,[@Time]<$H$2),[@Date]-1,[@Date]),A6)

Seems to be returning correct values; going to experiment a bit

Upvote 0
This may not work because on My excel it is reading 3/8/22 as 3rd of August but would be interested to know how it works for you (Im assuming that date is 8th March)
try
Excel Formula:
=IF(AND(B2>$H$1,B2<$H$2,C2="Night Shift"),A2-1,A2)

Upvote 0
Solution
This may not work because on My excel it is reading 3/8/22 as 3rd of August but would be interested to know how it works for you (Im assuming that date is 8th March)
try
Excel Formula:
=IF(AND(B2>$H$1,B2<$H$2,C2="Night Shift"),A2-1,A2)
(Yes, you're right the example is March 8th)
Ok I plugged in your formula but it is returning the undesired date for rows 5 & 6.

gordsky example.jpg

Upvote 0
(Yes, you're right the example is March 8th)
Ok I plugged in your formula but it is returning the undesired date for rows 5 & 6.

View attachment 59577
My formula should at least have changed (even if wrongly) rows 5 & 6 to 2/8/2022. Did you have the times in H1 & H2 when you ran it? (or change the H1 to what ever column holds your time?

Upvote 0
My formula should at least have changed (even if wrongly) rows 5 & 6 to 2/8/2022. Did you have the times in H1 & H2 when you ran it? (or change the H1 to what ever column holds your time?

Thanks for working with me on this.

Your formula is in Column D and shows the below:
I also attached a pic without the formula being activated; the only modification I did was lock H1 and H2
gordsky2.jpg

G3.jpg

Upvote 0
the formula in Column D isnt the updated formula (note it uses dateadd)
The updated formula is in post#6

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HellScout

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back