Formula Verification

wtsabo

I have a number of sheets, which are uniform in there formats and calculation metholodgy. The only thing that differs is the reference for data.

For instance:
Sheet 1 has formulas like =VLOOKUP(a1,'[Data File 1.xlsx]Maine'!$B$1:$c$10,2,FALSE)
Sheet 1 has formulas like =VLOOKUP(a2,'[Data File 2.xlsx]Maine'!$B$1:$c$10,2,FALSE)
Sheet 1 has formulas like =VLOOKUP(a3,'[Data File 3.xlsx]Maine'!$B$1:$c$10,2,FALSE)
Sheet 2 has formulas like =VLOOKUP(a1,'[Data File 1.xlsx]NewYork'!$B$1:$c$10,2,FALSE)
Sheet 2 has formulas like =VLOOKUP(a2,'[Data File 2.xlsx]NewYork'!$B$1:$c$10,2,FALSE)
Sheet 2 has formulas like =VLOOKUP(a3,'[Data File 3.xlsx]NewYork'!$B$1:$c$10,2,FALSE)
Sheet 3 has formulas like =VLOOKUP(a1,'[Data File 1.xlsx]Virginia'!$B$1:$c$10,2,FALSE)
Sheet 3 has formulas like =VLOOKUP(a2,'[Data File 2.xlsx]Virginia'!$B$1:$c$10,2,FALSE)
Sheet 3 has formulas like =VLOOKUP(a3,'[Data File 3.xlsx]Virginia'!$B$1:$c$10,2,FALSE)
and so on..

The issue I'm having is the ability to verify all the formulas in a sheet are referencing "Maine" or "NewYork" or "Virginia" and so on...
On occasion formulas change which results in some formulas sourcing from Maine, some from NewYork, some from Virginia....

Is there a simple solution to identify formulas which are not referencing all the same source? I've tried "watch window" and "show formulas" but this is very time consuming due to the amount of information and number of sheets.

Thanks for the help

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
Hello

Try the Excel option:
"Show formulas in cells instead of their calculated results"

In Excel 2007/2010, you will find it under "Advanced" within the Excel Options dialog screen.

Upvote 0
Can you provide feedback please?

Upvote 0
Maybe an idea: why not make 1 template sheet with a placeholder for the state name.
Then, using an automated approach, sheets are created whereby the placeholder is replaced with the state, in a loop.
Then you're sure to have correct references.

Upvote 0
Maybe an idea: why not make 1 template sheet with a placeholder for the state name.
Then, using an automated approach, sheets are created whereby the placeholder is replaced with the state, in a loop.
Then you're sure to have correct references.

This idea would be appropriate if the model was brand new and all the state sheets pulled figures for each formula. I have actually used this type of approach for different models. Unfortunately the models are not new and the data isn't consistent. The fastest way to review all the formulas was using data watch. It was was manual but effective. I also used Find All within the workbook for each of the states. I lack the VBA expertise to create a macro which reports Find All results so I just did it state by state.

Upvote 0
Or, try Chip Pearson's FindAll VBA function. He posted this on this tremendous website.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ExcelMA

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back