Formula's Changing to Values on their own

alexanderhales

I'm the Network Administrator at my company and am not an excel expert. One of my users is having a really weird problem with excel spreadsheet that we can't seem to figure out. Without doing anything, formulas will change to values on their own.

At first I was absolutely convinced that the user had to be doing something (I didn't know what) to cause the formulas to change to values. But more then a few times now I've stood over her shoulder and watched as the formulas changed themselves. I don't know how to explain it. One minute their formulas and the next minute their values.

The most recent one I witnessed, she clicked on a cell containing a formula so that I could see that they were in fact formulas. Then she clicked on another cell. Then when she clicked back on the first cell to view the formula again, it was no longer a formula but the value of that formula.

Things we've tried:
- We've manually recreated the excel spreadsheet from scratch to see if that would fix it and it hasn't.
- We've changed the file formats to older and newer versions, and that hasn't fixed it.
- We've swapped out the computer, but it still happens regardless of the machine we use.

The version of Excel we're using is 2007. The only thing we haven't tried is a different version.

I'm at a loss... any suggestions?

Look at this article (for more details than need) for the section "Allowing multiple users to edit a workbook simultaneously"

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
provoking

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back