Formulas using Named Ranges returning a #NAME error

becka

Hi,

I have a control sheet with a number named ranges. A formula with one of these (which was previously working) is now coming up with a #NAME error. I know this means that it's not recognising the named range as legitimate, but I've tried all the usual things to resolve, and I still can't work out what's going wrong:

1) The named range (it's not a dynamic range fyi) called "D_DC_Converter" isn't coming up as a suggestion (as it normally would) when I start typing it into a formula, which makes me wonder whether the name has been properly registered. However, it does come up in Name Manager. I have saved, closed and restarted the workbook and the name is still in Name Manager, but the problem persists.

2) I have checked and checked, and I can't see any typos or any other differences between the name as it appears in Name Manager and the name as it appears in my formula. To try to see where the problem was, I've tried to make one of the named ranges work with a simple formula (=INDEX(D_DC_Converter, 1) ). This is still returning a #NAME error, even when I copied the exact name from the Name Manager to avoid any typing errors. I've also tried renaming completely, and none of my new names are being registered properly.

Has anyone encountered this before? I've done everything I can think of, but none of my normal fixes/checks are working. Excel has been behaving somewhat slowly for me lately, with some formula-generated values not refreshing properly when they would have done so before, so I'm also starting to wonder whether it's anything to do with a larger problem...?

Thanks for any help!!

Excel Facts

Shade all formula cells
To shade all formula cells: Home, Find & Select, Formulas to select all formulas. Then apply a light fill color.
I've encountered this before ... from what I gather, named ranges can either be 'recognised' across the whole workbook, OR just in one worksheet ... if you go into Formula's > Named Ranges - have a look at the 'Scope' Column, if it doesn't say workbook, then not every sheet will recognise it.

To fix this, you can delete the named range and recreate it - that usually fixes the problem.

This kind of thing usually occurs when you copy stuff from one workbook to another.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stevenciu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back