formulas will stay as entered.

thmehr

Hi
I asked a similar question last week, and it worked for part of my table by using an Index function.
But I have tried to adapt these two formulas with the index function and I get errors.

The two formulas in question.

=IF(Sheet6!$D$4>Sheet6!$E$4,"Up",IF(Sheet6!$D$4=Sheet6!$E$4,"No Change","down"))

=Sheet6!$E$4-Sheet6!$F$4

I have a table of weekly mortgage rates that I print out. This table gets rates from the next sheet.( sheet 6) To add weekly rates, I want to just click on column C and do an insert so I can add the weekly data.
But, when I do the column inset, these formulas above change by one column. Example C4 changes to D4. I have tried using the $ to lock it in, but excel still changes. On simpler cell reference, the Index function worked, but these two are more complex with IF statements and math.

Any help will be appreciated.;
Thanks
Ted

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
If I understand correctly, the col C reference has to stay the same after inserting ?
Try
Excel Formula:
=IF(INDIRECT("Sheet6!$C$4")>Sheet6!$E$4,"Up",IF(INDIRECT("Sheet6!$C$4")=Sheet6!$E$4,"No Change","down"))

Upvote 0
I suggest that you update your Account details (or click your user name at the top right of the forum) so helpers always know what Excel version(s) & platform(s) you are using as the best solution often varies by version. (Don’t forget to scroll down & ‘Save’)

I would avoid the volatile function INDIRECT if possible

=IF(Sheet6!$D$4>Sheet6!$E$4,"Up",IF(Sheet6!$D$4=Sheet6!$E$4,"No Change","down"))
Instead, try
Excel Formula:
=CHOOSE(SIGN(INDEX(Sheet6!4:4,4)-INDEX(Sheet6!4:4,5))+2,"Down","No Change","Up")

=Sheet6!$E$4-Sheet6!$F$4
Instead, try
Excel Formula:
=INDEX(Sheet6!4:4,5)-INDEX(Sheet6!4:4,6)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ikke

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back