Freeze panes removed upon exiting workbook

ShalDRH

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello! I have Excel for MS 365 and running into workbooks where the "freeze panes" seem to reset to nothing frozen upon opening each time.

They all have multiple tabs that have freeze panes enabled under the title bars for the data set, and the auto filter turned on. Pretty standard setup.

Everything works like normal except upon opening the workbook each time, nothing is frozen. I have to refreeze each time on each tab. Like it removes it automatically when I close the workbook. The autofilter stays intact but the freezing seems to reset to nothing.

This happens on a few files I have, but most files work as expected. I haven't been able to figure out anything that is different for these files other than they are "old" files originally created by a user long gone. They aren't something I started from scratch. They are all Macro_enabled .xlsm docs.

Is there some setting or checkbox somewhere that tells it not to save the frozen panes upon exit? I'm stumped.

Thanks-

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
If you go into the VBA editor and double click on ThisWorkbook for the problem workbook in the left panel, is there any code in the window to the right ?

1640218886317.png

Upvote 0
What if you look at the Sheet module for one of the sheet that is having this problem?
Is there any VBA code in that specific sheet module?

Upvote 0
What if you look at the Sheet module for one of the sheet that is having this problem?
Is there any VBA code in that specific sheet module?
Hi Joe! Ok, I checked all of the tabs and they all match with the one following phrase-

VBA SSC 12.23.png

Upvote 0
Hmmm...

Nothing there that should be interfering with it.
So, are you saying that if you set Freeze Panes, SAVE, and close, and then re-open the file again, all the Frozen Panes are gone?

Could possibly be some corruption in the workbook, especially if it works fine on other ones.

Upvote 0
Hmmm...

Nothing there that should be interfering with it.
So, are you saying that if you set Freeze Panes, SAVE, and close, and then re-open the file again, all the Frozen Panes are gone?

Could possibly be some corruption in the workbook, especially if it works fine on other ones.
Yup, that is exactly what happens. Every time I open I have to reset the freeze and it drives me nuts! :)

So you think I would just need to rebuild from scratch and avoid whatever junk is corrupted in the background? I can't decide if it would be more painful to rebuild than the daily annoyance of resetting the freeze!

Upvote 0
Are there any actually any macros in the workbook that are being used ?
ie is it an option to save the workbook as .xlsx then close the workbook and then reopen it to see if that fixes the problem ?

An option would be to add a Workbook_Open event to turn the Freeze Panes on but it would be better to know that what is causing it to turn off was fixed.

Upvote 0
Solution
Are there any actually any macros in the workbook that are being used ?
ie is it an option to save the workbook as .xlsx then close the workbook and then reopen it to see if that fixes the problem ?

An option would be to add a Workbook_Open event to turn the Freeze Panes on but it would be better to know that what is causing it to turn off was fixed.
Hi Alex! Nope, I don't think there are any macros in play. It never occurred to me to save the workbook as just regular xlsx instead. I tested and the panes seem to stay grozen. Sometimes it is the easiest solution :) Still have no idea why that was happening but at least it is fixed and functional.

Thanks so much for thinking of a simple solution! Happy Holidays.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Emilou

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back