Gathering text variations

Nehogymar

Hi Everyone,
Probably you’re not going to understand what I’d like, but I try to explain. Please help if you could.
I’ve 4 column table, let say source, in worksheet „source”. These tables comes from different companies. Unfortunatelly they have similar products, but mostly those has slightly different names.

What I need, a macro which is gather the predefined text variatons by me of cells from column „A”, for eg:
HP Toner LJ5L/6L/3100/3150 CCA, black, 2500/sheet.
HP Toner LJ5L/6L/3100CCA, black, 2500/sheet.
HP Toner LJ5L/6L/RED 2500/sheet.
ASUS Motherboard/ and so on
and add the result for column „E” in result worksheet as specified item of category.

The main key is, I would like to determine what text variations(product's specifiaction) belongs for which category. Is it make sense??Maybe is it possible way, I just wondering.. generating somehow for e.g.: if text found "toner" then copy to column E in wroksheet result in same row...

If anybody have a best approach how can I solve this problem and abopt this method the rest of tables with macro or pivot table I would be appreciated. What is usual way? How can I reduce this tedious work??(in this case about 15000 row)
Thanks in advance

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
Nehogymar,

We are not able to clearly view your pictures/graphics.

What version of Excel are you using?

You will generally get much more help (and faster) in this forum if you can post your small samples directly in the forum:
sensitive data scrubbed/removed/changed
what you have and what you expect to achieve

To attach screenshots, see below in my Signature block:
Post a screen shot with one of these:

If you are not able to give us screenshots, see below in my Signature block:
You can upload your workbook to Box Net
mark the workbook for sharing
and provide us with a link to your workbook.

Upvote 0
Hi hiker thanks for quick response.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

The example.xls file location is:http://www.box.com/s/ibrceu93p3c7taxdgxl6<o:p></o:p>

Excel 2010<o:p></o:p>

So my problem again<o:p></o:p>

I’ve 4 column table, let say source, in worksheet„source”. These tables comes from different companies. Unfortunatelly they have similar products, but mostly those has slightly different names. In this screen you can see one of the possible company's product list.

What I need, a macro which is gather the predefined text variatons by me for cells of column „A”, for eg: <o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>
Xigmatek NRP-PC602
X igmatek NRPPC
Xigmatek NK-602 ab cde
Xigmatek Kp-12456<o:p></o:p>

..decide and add the result for column „E” in "required result" worksheet as specified item of category. <o:p></o:p>

The main key is, I would like to determine what text variations(product's specifiaction) belongs for which category. Is it makesense??Maybe is it possible way, I just wondering.. generating somehow for e.g.: if text found "toner" then add column E value: "Inkjet" as category in worksheet "reqired result" in same row...<o:p></o:p>

Briefly i'd like to separate automatically the items and send them to the approprieate category.<o:p></o:p>

If anybody have a best approach how can I solve this problem and abopt this method the rest of companies tables with macro or pivot table I would be appreciated. What is usual way? How can I reduce this tedious work??(in this case I have about 15000 row)<o:p></o:p>

Thanks in advance, for your kind effort

Upvote 0
Nehogymar,

I do not think that you are going to have an easy task creating a lookup list of key words that are unique to a Product Name, for all your customer product descriptions.

If you did, then we could program a macro to search for the unique keyword(s) in column A, and assign the correct Category Path.

Here is what I have come up with:

Excel Workbook
AEFGHIJKLMNOP
1Unique Category PathTotalColumn A contains 56 raw data rows: DataFilter, Custom, Contains, "keywords"
2Power Supply Unit15pinpowercoolXigmatek
3found26103
5Inkjet/DotMatrioxprinter16inkjetP/S/C
6found
8AMD Mainboard(AM3+)7
9found
11LCD Monitor18LED"
12found1618
16Product NameCategory Path
2223" Samsung S23A950D LED *FREE 3D GlassesLCD Monitor
2820" Samsung S20B300B LEDLCD Monitor
3623" Philips 234CL2SB LEDLCD Monitor
4318.5" Samsung S19A10NLCD Monitor
4623" LG IPS236V LEDLCD Monitor
5515.6" Philips W160EL1SB LEDLCD Monitor
5618.5" LG W1943CLCD Monitor
5818.5" Philips W196V3LSB LEDLCD Monitor
6021.5" Samsung S22A100N LEDLCD Monitor
6121.5" Philips 226V3LSB LEDLCD Monitor
6323" LG E2360T LEDLCD Monitor
6423" Samsung S23A350H LEDLCD Monitor
6523" Philips W237E3QPHSU LEDLCD Monitor
6723" Samsung T23A350A LED *built-in Tvtuner & SpkLCD Monitor
6823" LG D2342P 3D LED *FREE 3D GlassesLCD Monitor
7024" LG E2441V LEDLCD Monitor
7124" Samsung S24A350H LEDLCD Monitor
7227" Samsung S27A550H LEDLCD Monitor
reuired result

Upvote 0
Thanks hiker95 your prompt answer, and your time to helping me!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
Yes your screenshot looks like what I searching for. At least good starting point and maybe worth it to develop.<o:p></o:p>
Meanwhile I realized, what I want in excel it is called „price routing” what price comparison script does, and I wish to rmodeling how these process works in excel.

So what is next, could you suggest me some excel technik for. e.g. looping or could I try your script? Or your help as you wrote” we could program a macro” means your suppport has payment?

Thanks

Upvote 0
Nehogymar,

So what is next, could you suggest me some excel technik for. e.g. looping or could I try your script?

What I did on the above screenshot, was done manually, usind DataFilter, Custom, Contains, and manually trying (and keeping score/results) to find what "keywords" would work the best.

You would have to do the same, for each of the Unique Category Path's.

Once you have manually created the keylists associated with each Unique Category Path, we could create an array to search column A with the keywords, and create/assign the Category Path.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
againofsoul

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back