tezza

Office Version
  1. 2016
  2. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. Web
Hi all,

I don't know why I struggle so much with getting data from another sheet, but I do, and it's frustrating.

I just want to make a master sheet if you like using the following information:

Sheet numberA4A5A5
sheet4!B2sheet4!A4sheet4!A5sheet4!A6
sheet5!B2sheet5!A4sheet5!A5sheet5!A6
sheet6!B2sheet6!A4sheet6!A5sheet6!A6
sheet7!B2sheet7!A4sheet7!A5sheet7!A6

It's pretty basic really.

Starting at sheet 4 to how many tabs there are (sheet 4 - sheet xx)

Col A will be sheet 4 cell B2 - drag it down so only the sheet number increases - sheet 5 = B2 and so on.

Col B will be sheet 4 cell A4 - again drag down - sheet 5 A5

When I try =sheet4!B2 it pulls up another window looking for a file.

All cell values are in the same place on each sheet, I just want to put them all into one sheet.

Can you help please?

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
Try

in Column A
=INDIRECT("Sheet"&3+ROWS(INDIRECT("1:"&ROW(A1:A100)))&"!B2")
in Column B
=INDIRECT("Sheet"&3+ROWS(INDIRECT("1:"&ROW(A1:A100)))&"!A4")
in Column C
=INDIRECT("Sheet"&3+ROWS(INDIRECT("1:"&ROW(A1:A100)))&"!A5")
in Column D
=INDIRECT("Sheet"&3+ROWS(INDIRECT("1:"&ROW(A1:A100)))&"!A6")

If =sheet4!B2 is looking for a file then "sheet4" does not exist

Upvote 0
I am not sure I fully understand your question, as it is described. I find the post a bit confusing. However, I think that there are two pieces of information that may help you get what you want.

1. You can build dynamic range references with the INDIRECT function. You can create a formula that returns the range reference exactly how you need it, and then surround it in the INDIRECT function to let Excel know that it is a range reference and not literal text.

2. You can use the ROW() function to dynamically return the current row number that the formula is located in. Why is that helpful? Put =ROW() in any cell, and then drag it down, and you will see the values increasing by 1 as the row number increases by 1.

So let's say that in cell A4 on my sheet, I wanted to return the value from Sheet2, cell A4, and want to drag it down so that A5 returns the value from Sheet3, cell A4 and A5 returns the value from Sheet 4, cell A4, etc.

Then I just need to put a formula like this in cell A4 and copy down:
Excel Formula:
=INDIRECT("sheet" &ROW()-2 & "!A4")

Note that if you take the inner part only to see what it returns:
Excel Formula:
="sheet" & ROW()-2 & "!A4"
you will see that looks like the range reference that you desire:
Excel Formula:
sheet2!A4

Hopefully that help gives you the tools to do what you need to.

Upvote 0
Try

in Column A
=INDIRECT("Sheet"&3+ROWS(INDIRECT("1:"&ROW(A1:A100)))&"!B2")
in Column B
=INDIRECT("Sheet"&3+ROWS(INDIRECT("1:"&ROW(A1:A100)))&"!A4")
in Column C
=INDIRECT("Sheet"&3+ROWS(INDIRECT("1:"&ROW(A1:A100)))&"!A5")
in Column D
=INDIRECT("Sheet"&3+ROWS(INDIRECT("1:"&ROW(A1:A100)))&"!A6")

If =sheet4!B2 is looking for a file then "sheet4" does not exist
It just shows a #REF! in the cell

I agree that "sheet4" doesn't exist, but I'm looking for the 4th sheet, no matter what the name is.

Upvote 0
I agree that "sheet4" doesn't exist, but I'm looking for the 4th sheet, no matter what the name is.
I don't know that you can do that with an Excel function - something like that may require VBA.

Upvote 0
It just shows a #REF! in the cel

Formula works for me.
More importantly your problem is this...

Re - Sheet4 doesn't exist:

That's not what "Sheet4!B2" means.
Sheet4!B2 returns the cell value in B2 on the sheet NAMED Sheet4, not the 4th sheet in the workbook.

Not sure there is a formula that refers to the "4th sheet", VBA solution maybe, I believe most, if not all, formulas have to contain the NAME of the sheet.

Upvote 0
I am not sure I fully understand your question, as it is described. I find the post a bit confusing. However, I think that there are two pieces of information that may help you get what you want.

1. You can build dynamic range references with the INDIRECT function. You can create a formula that returns the range reference exactly how you need it, and then surround it in the INDIRECT function to let Excel know that it is a range reference and not literal text.

2. You can use the ROW() function to dynamically return the current row number that the formula is located in. Why is that helpful? Put =ROW() in any cell, and then drag it down, and you will see the values increasing by 1 as the row number increases by 1.

So let's say that in cell A4 on my sheet, I wanted to return the value from Sheet2, cell A4, and want to drag it down so that A5 returns the value from Sheet3, cell A4 and A5 returns the value from Sheet 4, cell A4, etc.

Then I just need to put a formula like this in cell A4 and copy down:
Excel Formula:
=INDIRECT("sheet" &ROW()-2 & "!A4")

Note that if you take the inner part only to see what it returns:
Excel Formula:
="sheet" & ROW()-2 & "!A4"
you will see that looks like the range reference that you desire:
Excel Formula:
sheet2!A4

Hopefully that help gives you the tools to do what you need to.
I think there is an issue with my sheet, as I open a new sheet and used some basic data and yours worked fine. I could do

Excel Formula:
sheet2!A4

On the spreadsheet I wanted to use it on, that code won't work and I've no idea why. It must have something to do with the current macros in place.

I appreciate your time though, thank you.

Upvote 0
I don't know that you can do that with an Excel function - something like that may require VBA.
After testing further, I think you're right.

How would I go about using VBA to do what I'm after?

On sheet3 make a list From the 4th tab onwards, of what's in B2, A4, A5, A6 on each sheet?

Upvote 0
In VBA, if you wanted to refer to the 4th sheet in your workbook, regardless of name, you can use:
VBA Code:
Sheets(4)

For example, if you wanted to get name of the 4th sheet, it would look something like this:
VBA Code:
MsgBox Sheets(4).Name

So you would probably either need to get the name of the sheet and build the formulas using that, or have VBA populate your desired values directly via a loop (and skip the formula creation part altogether).

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mystic19

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back