Get graph and trendline to not display non-numerical values as zero

SerenityNetworks

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a graph that draws information from two columns in a simple table. The information is drawn from cells that contains formulas, for example: =IF(COUNTA(F4:H4)>0,LN(E4),"-"). I've tried replacing the "-" with "", "x", and nothing, but the graph always picks up the non-numerical value and adjusts the trendline as if the values were zero. However, if I go to the table and manually delete the formulas from all the cells that do not contain numerical values then the graph's trendline displays correctly. Obviously, I want to leave the formulas in all the cells and still have the graph display as it would as if the non-numerical results were ignored. How can I either modify the formula or the graph to display without considering the non-numerical values in the source table?

Here is a link to a sample workbook that demonstrates the issue I'm having. The illustration below details the issue, if downloading the workbook sample is not an option.

Thank you in advance,
Andrew

Performance_Drop_Illustration.jpg

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.
Hi Andrew

Since you are using formulas in the cells the cells will always have a value and in the case you have a string value you'll get the zero value in the chart, that you don't want.

You have several solution, you can use a vba solution, a worksheet solution or some mix of both.

For ex., If you want a worksheet solution you can define names to extract just the number values.
For ex., for the X axis, you define a XValues name that will only extract the values of the cells K6 and K14.
For the Y axis similar.
You'll then use those names in the Edit Series dialog.

I don't have time to test now, but you have difficulties post back and I'll post a solution tonight.

Upvote 0
Thank you very much. I didn't put it in the example workbook, but I'm currently using a VBA routine to delete the formulas from the non-numeric cells. I'm trying to avoid continuing with that solution, as (1) it's a kludge and (2) people that don't know me and want to use the workbook may be hesitant to enable macros. I tried your suggestion of defining names that extract the numerical values, but there is something I'm doing wrong. I would appreciate your help later in implementing that non-macro solution.

Thanks again,
Andrew

Upvote 0
Hi

I defined 2 named formulas, for the X and Y values.

Name: XValues
Scope: Performance Drop
=N(OFFSET('Performance Drop'!$K$4,SMALL(IF(ISNUMBER('Performance Drop'!$K$4:$K$22),ROW('Performance Drop'!$K$4:$K$22)-ROW('Performance Drop'!$K$4)),ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&COUNT('Performance Drop'!$K$4:$K$22)))),0))

Name: YValues
Scope: Performance Drop
=N(OFFSET('Performance Drop'!$K$4,SMALL(IF(ISNUMBER('Performance Drop'!$K$4:$K$22),ROW('Performance Drop'!$K$4:$K$22)-ROW('Performance Drop'!$K$4)),ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&COUNT('Performance Drop'!$K$4:$K$22)))),1))

and then in the Edit Series dialog I used for the data source of the series

Series X values:
='Performance Drop'!XValues

Series Y values:
='Performance Drop'!YValues

Please try.

Upvote 0
Wow! That is perfect. Thank you!

I understand the different functions you've combined, the value of adding Scope with the name, etc., but I don't yet understand how they all work together. I'm will need to study your solution a bit. Certainly, it's not something I could have devised. It is very much appreciated.

Thank you again,
Andrew

Upvote 0
Simpler:

Change your IF statements from

=IF(something,something,"-")

to

=IF(something,something,NA())

This puts #N/A in the cell instead of "-", which is not plotted as zero, and which is ignored by the trendline.

If #N/A is too ugly for your worksheet, you can use conditional formatting to hide it. But you may learn to embrace them, as they provide a bit more insight than a blank cell or a dash.

Upvote 0
Thanks Jon. That's slick too. I never noticed throwing an error wasn't plotted, so I never thought of forcing one. Personally, I don't have a problem with #N/A, but others using the workbook likely would. If I use this method then I'll probably use conditional formatting to make them invisible.

Thanks again,
Andrew

Upvote 0
I usually don't make them totally invisible, I just use a light gray font, so the actual numbers stand out.

Upvote 0
Actually, these two columns don't show any values useful to the user. I may place them elsewhere or just hide the columns, in which case #N/A isn't an issue anyway. Then again, the named ranges may be useful for other tasks I'm contemplating. At this point, I'm not sure which method I'll use. I do appreciate having options.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moaz_cma

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back