"Global" IFERROR instruction (so I don't have to type it in everywhere?)

d0rian

Office Version
  1. 365
In my hairier spreadsheets, I make liberal use of IFERROR (since so many formulas that I copy down result in errors), so a ton of cells have the syntax of =IFERROR(formula,"--") just so I don't have unsightly errors everywhere.

Instead of adding that syntax to every formula where I want it, is there some way for me to just give Excel a global command of: "Listen, I don't want to see ugly error strings, so can you just drop in a "--", or heck even just leave a cell blank, so I don't have to use the IFERROR syntax everywhere"?

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
You could use Conditional Formatting to hide them.

Use a formula like this one in Conditional Formatting and set the font color to white:

=ISERROR(A1)

Upvote 0
Ha, yeah, that's the DIY solution I came up with too...what I like about a "--" or "n/a" value is that it lets me know there's actually a formula in the cell. Moreover, I find conditional formatting often a PITA to work with, b/c it gets copied / pasted / modified when I'm moving cells and columns around in ways that are annoying for me to fix. But thanks for suggestion, it's not a bad mcguyvering.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Healthydogs

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back