Goal Seek working intermittantly

soqrbrad

I am having quite some issues with Goal Seek and I'm wondering if it's just an Excel bug or what.

I am using a spreadsheet to perform iterative engineering calculations where you guess one variable and check to see if you get the answer you want. If you don't you then use goal seek to adjust your guess to get the answer you need. Goal seek has been working fine for this up until recently. I'm not sure if it's an office 365 bug but here is my problem.

I go through the goal seek process and put my guess reasonably close to the intended number. I then use goal seek to iterate and find a solution. Some times it works and goal seek will adjust my guess which results in my answer matching and I can move on to the next one. Other times it will say no iterative solution is found and will overwrite the formula I am trying to goal seek with my guess. The strangest one though is where it says it finds a solution but it doesn't change the right variable it just overwrites the formula I am trying to solve. For example:

Say I have the following setup (to simplify the engineering). I have a guess (in the Guess row) that goes through a formula (In the answer Cell Formula row) and returns an answer (the Answer Field. The value I want is in the desired result field.

Description
GuessAnswer Cell FormulaAnswerDesired Result
Initial 22.00(complicated formula)-0.03540
Goal Seek Works22.32(complicated formula0.0000
Goal Seek Error22.00000

<tbody>
</tbody>

Basically when I run goal seek, it doesn't run the iteration or change the guess at all. It just inserts the required value (0) into the formula and erases what is in there. It says a solution was found but then puts in 0 to overwrite the formula. I am making very sure I select my guess field as the variable I want to change.

Is this a known bug or is there something I can do to make this work more consistently?

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
I have the same issue. For the record I am using Excel 2016 version 16.0.6001.1078, 32-bit.

Does anyone have a solution?

Thanks.

Upvote 0
I have the same problem! Basically it changes the las cell I clicked, rather than the cell I'm telling it to change. So it will only work if first I click the variable cell, and then I open Goal Seek

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bes000

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back