Group Activities in Gantt Chart

BKGLTS

Board Regular
Hello,

I have a dynamic gantt chart setup in excel so that as activities are added to a cell range they automatically pop up on the gantt chart.
Columns of source data are:
A=Item
B=Description
G=Start Date
H=Duration
I=End Date

There can be a lot of activities and they all show up individually on the gantt chart.
However, I want to group them so that categories show up on the gantt chart instead of each individual activity.
But want it to still take into account the individual start and end dates of each activity when determining the duration of the category.
AND If possible I really need any new data columns to make this work be in Column J, K or L.
(I have dynamically linked cells in this data range and trying to insert a new column anywhere before Column E makes it lock up.
My source data for the gantt chart looks like this:
=Schedule!$B$2,Schedule!$G$2:$H$2

Horizontal Axis is from Description column.

Thank you!
B

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
I found this but it is not what I need.
It creates new rows and you have to manually edit the formulas every time for the MAX.
I just want to be able to have a column J that I can quickly type a group name in for each activity and it will leave the original source data alone and somehow report it correctly in the gantt chart.
Only thing I can think of is summarizing my original source data into another table that is somehow filtered by group column and sums and takes the min start date and the max end date of all the activities to create a new data set for the gantt chart to pull from.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peppernaut

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back