Modifying Gantt Chart

ChaosPup

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all, I'm creating a Gantt chart for a 90 plan for a new job. I downloaded the basic Gantt template and tweaked it a bit, but I've gotten turned around trying to add in a feature I want and I hope I can get some advice!

I'd like to rename the 'Days' column to 'Planned Days', add in an extra column between F and G for 'Actual Days', and to modify the conditional formatting to highlight only the extra days red on the end of the blue bar.

As an example, in the image, if I were to enter 20 in the new 'Actual Days' column, I'd like it to add the correct number of days to the 'Work Days' column and add a red bar from Tuesday 17th to Saturday 24th.

As I said, I'm getting a bit stuck with it so all advice is welcome! Thanks!
Gantt.png

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
Hi @ChaosPup, I hope you are well.

Tuesday 17th to Saturday 24th.
Do you mean Saturday, October 21?

add in an extra column between F and G for 'Actual Days'
If we add a column, then now the dates will start in column K.

Try the following:
Dante Amor Gantt.xlsm
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZAAABACADAEAFAGAHAIAJAKALAMANAOAPAQARAS
4Start Date02/10/2023
52 oct 20239 oct 202316 oct 202323 oct 202330 oct 2023
7STARTENDPlanned DaysActual DaysWork DaysMTWTFSSMTWTFSSMTWTFSSMTWTFSSMTWTFSS
91TASK02/10/202316/10/2023152011
101.1TASK17/10/202324/10/2023896
111.2TASK25/10/202328/10/2023443
121.3TASK29/10/202305/11/2023865
gantt 2
Cells with Conditional Formatting
CellConditionCell FormatStop If True
K9:AY100Expression=Y(K$6>=$D9,K$6<=$E9)textNO
K9:AY100Expression=Y(K$6>=$D9,K$6<=$D9+$G9-1)textNO

Note:
The formula for the blue format is an assumption of how you have it.​
But use the formula for the red format. The new rule should be below the blue format rule.​
You must also adjust the cell range to apply the format to your sheet, I put K9:AY100 for the example.​

--------------
Let me know the result and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.
Cordially
Dante Amor
--------------​

Upvote 0
Solution
Hi, thanks for you reply. Unfortunately that didn't work for me, I've taken a screenshot of the conditional formatting as it stands in case it's causing the issue.

Gantt 90.png

Upvote 0
That's it fixed now, I changed the expression for Red to the same format as blue and added the extra '+G9-1' part. Thanks!!

Upvote 1
I've actually had another thought - is it possible to do the same for days under? So if I have planned 10 days and it only takes 5, can I 'back-fill' five days a different colour?

Upvote 0
So if I have planned 10 days and it only takes 5, can I 'back-fill' five days a different colour?

Add a conditional format to the beginning of the rules with the following formula:

Excel Formula:
=Y(K$6>=$D9,K$6<=$E9,K$6>=TODAY())

🫡

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi, thanks again for replying. I tried adding that new rule to the top of the list, but all it does is turn everything green. I tried moving it down the list a step at a time, but with no luck. I then tried changing the format of the expression to match the other expressions but that didn't work either. I get the feeling I'm doing something obviously wrong here, I just can't figure out what it is!
Untitled.png

Upvote 0
So if I have planned 10 days and it only takes 5, can I 'back-fill' five days a different colour?
Your new request is not clear to me, I don't know if there are 5 days left from today's date or from what?

I recommend you create a new thread, in the new thread, please explain with example and images what your requirement is.

Regards
Dante Amor

Upvote 0
Hi, sorry I didn't explain myself very well.

In the screenshots below, I've used row 9 as an example and manually changed the colour of the cells so I can explain better.

In the first screenshot, you can see that there is no 'Actual Days' value entered, so the bar only appears in blue. In the second screenshot, I've entered 6 as the 'Actual Days', so the last 6 cells of the bar have changed to green. If I'd entered 10 as the 'Actual Days', the last 2 cells of the bar would have changed to green, and if I'd entered 3 as the 'Actual Days' the last 9 cells of the bar would have changed to green, etc. I hope this explains it better.

PLANNED.png

ACTUAL.png

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Hughes

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back