Guidance and advice on data volumes

Alan2005

Hi Guys,

I am fairly new to Excel / VBA but am trying really hard to catch up with some of the outstanding people on this forum.(Not this decade..!)
I have a small question in relation to the amount of data that Excel can reasonably cope with.
In a nutshell. I am attempting to store information relating to backup client activity. Each client (70-100) will have 11 pieces of relevant info.
I would like to store and analyse this for two month periods.
However, this will result in Excel having 50,000 pieces of info to VLOOKUP, FIND and what have you.
Sorry about the length of this by the way. So, should I go down the access route or is excel better than I imagine.
Any pointers would be highly appreciated.
Thanks and regards

Excel Facts

Can you sort left to right?
To sort left-to-right, use the Sort dialog box. Click Options. Choose "Sort left to right"
The critical point is the number of records you expect to handle. Excel can handle up to 65,536 rows, 256 columns, after that we need MS Access.

You need to put your data into a simple table with column headings in row 1, when you will be able to use the powerful Data functions of Excel to do analysis & sorting etc. ie. do not be tempted to split the data into separate worksheets, you will only be making a rod for your own back later on. This may mean adding extra columns that repeat data (eg. 'Month') - but Excel loves it.

Upvote 0
Thanks very much for the help and advice Brian.
I have already started building the app and didn't want to continue along the same lines if I was going to experience huge speed issues.
Much appreciated.

Alan

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LGVBPP

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back