Hangman Game

bschulze

I am looking for code that will search the dictionary for words, kind of like a hangman game. For instance I will have a word but it will not be complete.

D_ _ T_ ON _ R _ (DICTIONARY)

I need the dictionary to find all the words that match that criteria. Also if this is possible how would I indicate blanks.

I am not sure if this is possible and also have not idea where to start. Any ideas would be a great help. Feel free to shoot me down if you dont think that it is possible. Thanks

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.
Not sure I understand...

So, if you have N _ _ _ _ , you'd want to list *ALL* of the 5 letter words that start with N? Why limit it to English ;)

Seriously though, that sounds like an extremely daunting task.

If you're trying to create a hangman game or similar, my suggestion would be to start with a list of about 100 (or whatever number you decide) words. Then, you could randomly select one of those and use it as the baseline for your game.

To pull up *ALL* of the words that match your missing blanks though... I think that would quickly spiral out of practicality.

Upvote 0
You understood correctly. I did not think that it would be very practical if possible at all. I was just trying to figure out an easy way to solve a puzzle. Please dont spend any time on it. I just wanted to see if anyone had already created something like this and was willing to share the knowledge of how it was writen. Thanks again

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rehanahmadawan

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back