Help Calculating Price Based On Profit

Exterior

Board Regular
I'm using a spread sheet to help determine what I should charge customers. I want to make at least $300 profit on every job. If my profit is not at least $300 then I must up my price until profit reaches $300. Currently I'm manually adding a percentage (Factor) to the original price until I reach $300 profit. In the image below:

34yd0lz.jpg

A is the original price
B is the factor by which I multiply the original price to increase it
C is the new figure which is reached after multiplying (1+B2)*A2
D is the costs related to that job (I enter these manually on a separate sheet within the workbook)
E if the profit (C-D)

Note: I use a factor in B because when I increase the price, then I have to increase several parts of the job by the same percentage so I multiply each part by this factor to increase the price of each by the same percentage.

Now what I would like to do is if E2<300 then have excel automatically change the price for me so that E2=300.

I put the following formula into the B2: =IF(E2<300,1+(300-E2)/A2,0), but this produced a circular reference and doesn't calculate properly. Can someone please help me figure out how to do this?

Excel Facts

Shade all formula cells
To shade all formula cells: Home, Find & Select, Formulas to select all formulas. Then apply a light fill color.
Calculate the desired price in F2 as =MAX(300,E2)+D2.

Alternatively, forget about column B. Calculate C2 as =MAX(A2-D2,300)+D2, which is the same as =MAX(A2,D2+300).

I'm using a spread sheet to help determine what I should charge customers. I want to make at least $300 profit on every job. If my profit is not at least $300 then I must up my price until profit reaches $300. Currently I'm manually adding a percentage (Factor) to the original price until I reach $300 profit. In the image below:

34yd0lz.jpg

A is the original price
B is the factor by which I multiply the original price to increase it
C is the new figure which is reached after multiplying (1+B2)*A2
D is the costs related to that job (I enter these manually on a separate sheet within the workbook)
E if the profit (C-D)

Note: I use a factor in B because when I increase the price, then I have to increase several parts of the job by the same percentage so I multiply each part by this factor to increase the price of each by the same percentage.

Now what I would like to do is if E2<300 then have excel automatically change the price for me so that E2=300.

I put the following formula into the B2: =IF(E2<300,1+(300-E2)/A2,0), but this produced a circular reference and doesn't calculate properly. Can someone please help me figure out how to do this?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LGVBPP

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back