Help combing search and vlookup formula

easybpw

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi and thanks for your assistance. I need to take the results from the vlookup formula below and use that for my search formula.

=VLOOKUP(Info!H2,DATA,3,FALSE)

combine with

=IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(Info!H2,$I4))=TRUE,"PNC REST","")

The Info!H2 would be the result from my vlookup formula. I've had many failed attempts to combine these together. Any help would be appreciated.

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
Hi and thanks for your assistance. I need to take the results from the vlookup formula below and use that for my search formula.

combine with

The Info!H2 would be the result from my vlookup formula. I've had many failed attempts to combine these together. Any help would be appreciated.
This is the best I can come up with but it isn't returning the expected result. I4 does contain the results from the lookup so it should return "PNC REST" but instead its blank.

=IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(VLOOKUP(Info!H2,DATA,3,0),I4)),"PNC REST","")

Upvote 0
What cell are you putting that formula in?

Upvote 0
What cell are you putting that formula in?
It's going into the workbook that contains the I4 reference but in a different column. The workbook has between 10,000 - 13,000 rows each month. And in column I there is an identifier that tells us which store the transaction belongs to. There is also some text within the cells and also a specific account number. The vlookup is taking that store identifier and looking up the specific account number and then if it finds that account number I want the result to be "PNC REST". If that account number is not there then the result would be a blank cell. There are over 50 store identifiers so on a separate tab is where all the lookup data is along with a specific cell to tell us which store this workbook is referring to. That is what the INFO!H2 represents.

Hope that made sense.

Upvote 0
Which cell & sheet is this formula in
Excel Formula:
and in which cell & sheet is this formula in
Excel Formula:

Upvote 0
Which cell & sheet is this formula in
Excel Formula:
and in which cell & sheet is this formula in
Excel Formula:
The vlookup is not in any sheet yet. I wanted to insert th vlookup in the 2nd formula to replace the INFO!H2. So I'm actually doing that search using the results of the vlookup. For example the vlookup could return this: 601258974. I want that result to be in place of the INFO!H2 in the search formula. The lookup though is looking at an entirely different sheet and retrieving the 601258974 and then I need to take that result and look in column I for that number and if that number is in one of the cells then the result would be "PNC REST".

Sorry for the confusion.

Upvote 0
Lets put it another way, what cell & sheet do you want to put the formula in?

Upvote 0
Lets put it another way, what cell & sheet do you want to put the formula in?
In the same sheet as the I4 but in a different column. For this specific case it would go in X4. So the formula is looking in I4 for that number (the results of the vlookup) and if it exits then in X4 it would put "PNC REST". I'd then copy down the formula.

Upvote 0
Ok, how about
Excel Formula:
=IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(VLOOKUP(Info!H2,DATA,3,FALSE),$I4))=TRUE,"PNC REST","")

Upvote 0
Ok, how about
Excel Formula:
=IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(VLOOKUP(Info!H2,DATA,3,FALSE),$I4))=TRUE,"PNC REST","")
Not working but its not because the vlookup is wrong. By itself the vlookup returns the correct result. It's just that the formula, when looking in I4, thinks what the vlookup is returning is not in the cell but it really is. I4 looks like below. I changed the numbers since they are confidential. But the vlookup returns the 5874950215478 therefore the result should be "PNC REST". It just isn't. No error just returns a blank cell, which it should if it didn't find that number. Very frustrating!

ACH CONCENTRATION CREDIT ACH CASH CONCENTRATION PNC MERCHANT-DEPOSIT PNC MERCH DEPOSIT 5874950215478 /VA/23578159

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thnirmitha

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back