Help Creating Promo Codes :)

TripletDad

Board Regular
I have about 15,000 promo codes to create and I want to do it using a Concatenate function...

I have a list of stores ("Stores" Tab, Column A) that I want to incorporate into the promo code -- so my formula would look like this:

=CONCATENATE('Stores'!A5,"-",RANDBETWEEN(100,999),CHAR(RANDBETWEEN(65,90)),CHAR(RANDBETWEEN(65,90)),RANDBETWEEN(1000,9999))

Now for the challenge:

I need 50 codes for each store and I have a list of ~300 stores in column A

I need a formula (or need to modify the above formula) I can drag down 15,000 rows then copy/paste special the results...

Any ideas?

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes
I still don't see why the bother of
lr = ws.Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row

Since the code is taking the 300 existing rows and copying them to row 15,000, how can lr be anything but 15,000?

I also mentioned about applying the formulas all at once. Doing so for me cuts the macro time from about 9 seconds to about 0.25 seconds.
That is, replacing the code between the two ScreenUpdating lines with this
Code:
With Range("A1").Resize(lr)
  .Formula = "=CONCATENATE(Stores!A1,""-"",RANDBETWEEN(100,999),CHAR(RANDBETWEEN(65,90)),CHAR(RANDBETWEEN(65,90)),RANDBETWEEN(1000,9999))"
  .Value = .Value
End With

3) Although the store number is only listed one time on 'Stores', I need 50 unique codes for each store, so this would have to be repeated 50 times before creating a new set of codes for the store number located in cell A2.
I'd rather not limit this to 15K rows, when we add stores in the future, I'd like to be able to leverage this same macro.
Keeping both of the above in mind, here's an alternative (similar in concept to Michael's original code but much faster) that will handle any number of stores and any number of codes per store (easily changed near the start of the code) which is a bit faster again.
It also leaves the original 'Stores' sheet unchanged.
Code:
Sub StoreCodes()
  Dim a, b
  Dim i As Long, j As Long, k As Long, Stores As Long

Const CodesPerStore As Long = 50  '<- Change to suit

With Sheets("Stores")
    a = .Range("A1", .Range("A" & .Rows.Count).End(xlUp)).Value
  End With
  Stores = UBound(a, 1)
  ReDim b(1 To Stores * CodesPerStore, 1 To 1)
  For i = 1 To Stores
    For j = 1 To CodesPerStore
      k = k + 1
      b(k, 1) = a(i, 1) & -(100 + Int(Rnd() * 900)) & Chr(65 + Int(Rnd() * 26)) & _
        Chr(65 + Int(Rnd() * 26)) & (1000 + Int(Rnd() * 9000))
    Next j
  Next i
  Application.ScreenUpdating = False
  Sheets.Add(After:=Sheets("Stores")).Name = "Store Codes"
  Sheets("Store Codes").Range("A1").Resize(UBound(b, 1)).Value = b
  Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

Edit:
This still does not guarantee unique codes, but the likelihood of repeats is fairly small.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Since the code is taking the 300 existing rows and copying them to row 15,000, how can lr be anything but 15,000?

Hi Peter
I think the OP is suggesting that there may be more than 300 stores on occasion.
I also agree with your code, but I was in the car and didn't have Excel, so took the easy option, for me anyway...:oops:

Upvote 0
Hi Peter
I think the OP is suggesting that there may be more than 300 stores on occasion.
I also agree with your code, but I was in the car and didn't have Excel, so took the easy option, for me anyway...:oops:

Michael - yes - you're right... there may be more than 300 stores.... :)

Thank you to you both for your help!

-Jeff

Upvote 0
Exactly (& has been confirmed by by the OP), which is why I provided my recent code to counter the fixed
ws.Range("A1:A300").AutoFill Destination:=ws.Range("A1:A15000"), Type:=xlFillCopy

.. so took the easy option, for me anyway...:oops:
I don't know if you are picking up on my point.
Given that you were only providing a solution for 300 stores and 50 codes per store, the "easy way out" to me would have been the blue line below, instead of the red. :)
Rich (BB code):
ws.Range("A1:A300").AutoFill Destination:=ws.Range("A1:A15000"), Type:=xlFillCopy
lr = ws.Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row
lr = 15000

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SammMcCandless

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back