Help defining what region an entry is for (Vlookup?/IF?/IFOR?)

Coolfridgeguy

Hi there,

I am trying to create a tracker for my work, I work co-ordinating different types of repair staff around the UK. I have to make a function that allocates what region of the country an entry is for, there are 25 locations and they are spread so;

Region 1 : 9 Locations
Region 2 : 9 Locations
Region 3 : 3 Locations
Region 4 : 3 Locations
Region 5 : 1 Location

I have to have a cell that says what region the entry is for based on one of the location names, I can create a separate table and use VLOOKUP but I'm trying to keep this to one sheet. I have been trying a very large nested IF function but it says there are too many arguments (like my marriage eh guys?!?! Oh snap!)

=IF((H81="Hoole",H81="Manchester",H81="Liverpool",H81="Leeds".....etc etc

I have toyed if IF OR functions but excel comes back saying "too many arguements" again

If anyone has any ideas I'd really appreciate it!

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
Create table like this:

HooleRegion 1
ManchesterRegion 1
LiverpoolRegion 1

<tbody>
</tbody>

Then lookup H81 from the table.

Would that work?

Upvote 0
like i said I can create one and make a VLOOKUP but I want to keep things to one sheet it needs to be regularly emailed and kept as small as possible, I find if there are to many sheets people dont read them all, I want to keep it on one page, is there a way of keeping the data on a table that size into a function?

Upvote 0
So instead of using a lookup table you want to do it by formula?

It will be harder to maintain but this should work

=IF(OR(H81="Hoole",H81="Manchester",H81="Liverpool",H81="Leeds"),"Region 1",IF(OR(H81="Something",H81="Something Else"),"Region 2",IF(OR(H81="Something",H81="Something Else"),"Region 3",IF(OR(H81="Something",H81="Something Else"),"Region 4",IF(OR(H81="Something",H81="Something Else"),"Region 5","ERROR")))))

Upvote 0
That will be just a comma in the wrong place or something like that. That formula above works fine. I tested it before posting.

Upvote 0
=IF(OR(H2="location1",H2="location2",H2="location3",H2="location4",H2="location5",H2="location6",H2="location7",H2="location8",H2="location9"),"Region 1",IF(OR(H2="location10",H2="location11",H2="location12",H2="location13",H2="location14",H2="location15",H2="location16",H2="location17"),"Region 2",IF(OR(H2="location18",H2="location19",H2=location20),"Northern Ireland",IF(OR(H2="location21",H2="Mercury",H2="location22"),"Region 3",IF(OR(H2="location23"),"Isle of Man","ERROR")))))

I had to take out the location names (bosses orders)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheTeaTiger

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back