Help Filtering with Median Calculation

ttomred17

Hi Guys,

First time user, any help would be very much appreciated! Basically I have a years worth of measured Load data for a Electricity substation in 15 minute intervals. This means I have 35,040 points of data, there is some outliers in there and I also need to shrink this down to hourly measurements, so too 8760 points of data. How I want to do this is to run a median filter over every 4 points of data, which will smooth out any outliers I have and also change it from 15 minute to hourly data.

If anyone can help me that would be great!

Thanks

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().
Hi ttomred17

What I would do in this situation would be to first add a column with the median for each hour every time the hour changes. The construction of this formula assumes your data is continuous for the entire year, with your date/time in A2:A35041 and your reading in B2:B35041. It must be executed using Control+Shift+Enter:

=IF(HOUR(A3)<>HOUR(A2), MEDIAN(IF(HOUR(A$2:A$35041)=HOUR(A2), IF(TRUNC(A$2:A$35041)=TRUNC(A2), B$2:B$35041))))

What this does is check if the hour is about to change, then take the median of all values with the same hour on the same day.

Your results in column C will then be either blank or the median for this period, so you should be able to perform some analysis on this.

Hope that helps

Mackers

Edit: for clarity you may wish to add a column that is just the day and hour so you can use pivot tables and suchlike, using a formula like this:

=IF(ISNUMBER(C3), TRUNC(A3)+TIME(HOUR(A3),0,0), "")

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
qh017

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back