HELP HELP HELP! Trouble creating range names

Jandy

This is driving me nuts. When I try to name a range I get the prompt "Can't find project or library." After I click OK I wind up in the VBA editor, where the References window opens. None of the entries show "missing". Office 9.0 Object Library and Excel 9.0 Object library have been selected, but I can't deselect them.

I've tried these 3 things without success:

I'm able to clear the check-box for Office 9.0, but when I try to clear Excel 9.0 I get the prompt "Can't remove control or reference: in use". After I close and re-open Excel again Office 9.0 has been re-selected.

The Mso9.dll and Stdole2.tlb files are on my hard disk. I tried disabling them by renaming, but then Excel wouldn't open.

This macro didn't work, despite the statement that it "programmatically removes the reference to the Microsoft Office 9.0 Object Library and OLE Automation from the workbook. You can then save the workbook in the Microsoft Excel 5.0/95 Workbook format. When you open the workbook in Microsoft Excel 5.0 or 7.0, and then run a macro, insert a module, or record a new macro, the error message does not appear."
Sub RemoveLibraryReferences()
On Error Resume Next
Dim xObject As Object
Set xObject = ThisWorkbook.VBProject.References.Item("Office")
ThisWorkbook.VBProject.References.Remove xObject
Set xObject = ThisWorkbook.VBProject.References.Item("stdole")
ThisWorkbook.VBProject.References.Remove xObject
End Sub
There are no options to save the workbook as ver. 5.0 or 7.0. I've tried saving as 5.0 / 97 workbook and 4.0 workbook instead. No matter what I do I get the same prompts.

Woe is me. I'm desperate and will be eternally grateful if you can lead me out of this tortured labrynth.

TIA :oops:

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.
Hi,
For a similar problem (related to macros), what Igot from experienced hands was like the following.
If your file has macros in it, then
1. open file in "Macros dissabled" mode
2. press ALT+F11
3. click Tools_References
4. uncheck Missing ...
5. save file
6. reopen file in "MacrosEnabled" mode

Not sure whether this will help you, but still.....

Upvote 0
Thanks for the idea but unfortunately nothing was shown as "missing," even in Macros Disabled mode.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teemeren

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back