Help needed: Custom rounding of numbers in Excel 2010/13 meeting 1 of 6 criteria

hainer76

Happy 2014 to you all
Hi
I would really appreciate any help and/or guidance offered to hopefully resolve a custom rounding problem in Excel 2010/2013. The function will be applied to a results column containing numbers with two decimal places.
For general layout please see Table 1

EHIJK
Table 1

<tbody>
</tbody>
Column E: The numbers to round
Column H: formula”=ROUND(E1,2)”
Column I: extracts the two decimal numbers from the relevant cell in column H.

Formula Column I: “=RIGHT(H1,LEN(H1)-FIND(“.”,H1))”
Formula Column J: ”=LEFT(I1,1)”
Formula Column K: “=RIGHT(I1,1)”

The criteria to match and the final results to be placed in Column E

1.) If the number in Column J is odd and the number in Column K is =>5 add 1 to the number in Column J and change the number in Column K to 0. (H1:1.15 is rounded up to 1.20)
2.) If the number in Column J is odd and the number in Column K is <5 the number in Column J stays unchanged and the number in Column K is changed to 0. (H2:1.14 is rounded down to 1.10)
3.) If the number in Column J is even and the number in Column K is =<5 the number in Column J stays unchanged and the number in Column K is changed to 0. (H3:1.25 is rounded down to 1.20)
4.) If the number in Column J is even and the number in Column K is >5 add 1 to the number in Column J and change the number in Column K to 0. (H3:1.26 is rounded up to 1.30)
5.) If the number in Column J is “9” and the number in Column K is =>5 add 1 to the first whole number in Column H and change the numbers in Column J and Column K to 0. (H5:1.95 is rounded up to 2.00)
6.) If the number in Column J is “9” and the number in Column K is <5 the number in Column J stays unchanged and the number in Column K is changed to 0. (1.94 is rounded down to 1.90)

What I do have
I have code to find the first column with no data (Table 1, Cell H1 in the general layout)
Code (CurrentRegion.Rows.Count) to determine how many rows contain values in the dataset.
Code to go to the next cell in Column H. ("ActiveCell.Offset(1,0).Select")
The above code is used in a For/Next procedure.

What I would need:
Ideally the VBA code to do the criteria 1 to 6 checks would be housed within the For/Next loop. On matching one of the criteria the value in Column E is replaced with the “rounded” value. The process is repeated for all rows up to the rowcount.

· Preferably a VBA solution which would allow me to apply the automated procedure to active sheets with the same numbering.
· Alternatively an Excel/VBA solution to apply the automated procedure to active sheets with the same numbering

As with the intro, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Many Thanks

Excel Facts

What is the shortcut key for Format Selection?
Ctrl+1 (the number one) will open the Format dialog for whatever is selected.
The rounding you are describing is known as "Banker's Rounding" and it is the type of rounding that VB does naturally, so your VB code would simply be this...

Code:
Sub CustomRound()
  Dim X As Long, LastRow As Long
  LastRow = Cells(Rows.Count, "E").End(xlUp).Row
  For X = 1 To LastRow
    Cells(X, "H").Value = Round(Cells(X, "E").Value, 1)
  Next
End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojomen56

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back