Help Request - Nested formulas in a SUMIFS formula

Demonsguile

Every month I get a ledger from my property management company detailing what expenses were incurred. Unfortunately, it's not setup to be easily digestible. So, I've decided to parse out the data into something where I can more easily understand it.

I'm trying to write a formula which searches for a few conditions and sums the values it finds. Unfortunately, when it comes to yard maintenance activities, the ledger displays "Yard - 10/28". As the date will change each time, I want to use the first six (6) characters or "Yard -" in my formula.

Here is what I came up with:
=SUMIFS('Ledger - Details'!$G:$G, 'Ledger - Details'!$F:$F, $B$24, 'Ledger - Details'!$C:$C, "NORTHERNDOVE-", 'Ledger - Details'!$H:$H, E$1)
The relevant section is 'Ledger - Details'!$F:$F, $B$24 where $B$24 references "Yard -".

Unfortunately, when I try to limit it to the six characters I want, I get an error. The formula that errors is this:
=SUMIFS('Ledger - Details'!$G:$G, LEFT('Ledger - Details'!$F:$F, 6), $B$24, 'Ledger - Details'!$C:$C, "NORTHERNDOVE-", 'Ledger - Details'!$H:$H, E$1)

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
DG

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.
Change to SUMPRODUCT instead of SUMIFS and try something like this.
I usually try to avoid whole column references. I doubt you are using anything like the 1 million+ rows available so choose something where I have $2000 that is big enough to cover your likely data but presumably well short of the available row limit.

=SUMPRODUCT(--('Ledger - Details'!$C$1:$C$2000="NORTHERNDOVE-"),--(LEFT('Ledger - Details'!$F$1:$F$2000,6)=$B$24),--('Ledger - Details'!$H$1:$H$2000=E$1),'Ledger - Details'!$G$1:$G$2000)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peppernaut

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back