Help using power query and a mapping table to append multiple worksheets and files to one file

Stacker

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I am following this guide and I successfully did the first 5 or so minutes and created a mapping table. I have three files, a blank template, and two files with dummy data.

Template

https://imgur.com/RfQ9joM

File 1

File 2

I want to append the contents of file 1 and 2, to the blank template. When i try to transform the sample file I used this formula.

= Table.TransformColumnNames(Table3_Table, each

List.Accumulate(Table.ToRecords(Table23),_,

(state, Current)=> Text.Replace(Text.Upper(state),current

[BEFORE], current [AFTER]) ))

Which presents this error:

Expression.Error: The name 'Table3_Table' wasn't recognized. Make sure it's spelled correctly.

Here is the source part of the transformation

Top is the header table but without any content

Table3 is the template but without any info so just headings of the final doc

Table 23 is the mapping table mentioned earlier in the vid.

What do i do?

THa
I would suggest you start fresh, it has a lot of previous tries in there.
  • You now have the Table Name in Reddit1 & Reddit2
    (I think Table1 is a meaningless name and easily confused and I would use a more meaningful name)
  • Import your mapping table as connection only
    What is the name of that table - ideally also something meaningful)
  • Get Data > From folder > Transform
  • I don't know what template is doing in the import file steps.
    This sounds more like the destination of the output.
    Is it the same file as the mapping table.
    I would filter so you only only get the files starting with Reddit
  • In transform sample file > click on the navigation step and hit fx (add custom function)
    • It should populate with table name: in your case probably Table1
      Add_Table to that and in the M code below replace my tblSupplier_Table with your Table1_Table
    • Then if BEFORE and AFTER aren't the headings for column 1 & 2 of your mapping table change those words for your column 1 and 2 headings (it is case sensitive)
    • My Mapping column 1 is the same case as my import file headings so I have not used the additional Text.Upper function around (state)
    • Copy the below function with the change to the table name change above into your fx formula box

Power Query:
      = Table.TransformColumnNames (tblSupplier_Table, each List.Accumulate(Table.ToRecords(tblMapping),_,(state,current) => Text.Replace(state,current[BEFORE],current[AFTER])))
  • A new Imported Excel function will be created > delete that step
  • In the Main merge query remove the last Changed Type step (It is the step that appears in your pictures)
    It has old column names in it and you need it gone.
  • Select all in the Main query Ctrl+A and Transform > Detect Data Type
See how you go with the above.
Thank you for your response. I get two files daily and they are in a slightly different format to the final output setting that is the template.

Here is what the final heading would look like and it is what is saved in template

NHS NumberDOBEthnicity (from Hospital)EthnicityPatientAddress1PostcodePatient UPRNPatient TertiaryClassificationHospitalDateAdmittedDate tested PositiveDate discharged (if applicable)Discharge DestinationInpatientAdmissionTimeInpatientDischargeTimeTrustCombinedAdmitted_dateTested_dateDischarged_date

I would suggest you start fresh, it has a lot of previous tries in there.
  • You now have the Table Name in Reddit1 & Reddit2
    (I think Table1 is a meaningless name and easily confused and I would use a more meaningful name)
  • Import your mapping table as connection only
    What is the name of that table - ideally also something meaningful)
  • Get Data > From folder > Transform
  • I don't know what template is doing in the import file steps.
    This sounds more like the destination of the output.
    Is it the same file as the mapping table.
    I would filter so you only only get the files starting with Reddit
  • In transform sample file > click on the navigation step and hit fx (add custom function)
    • It should populate with table name: in your case probably Table1
      Add_Table to that and in the M code below replace my tblSupplier_Table with your Table1_Table
    • Then if BEFORE and AFTER aren't the headings for column 1 & 2 of your mapping table change those words for your column 1 and 2 headings (it is case sensitive)
    • My Mapping column 1 is the same case as my import file headings so I have not used the additional Text.Upper function around (state)
    • Copy the below function with the change to the table name change above into your fx formula box

Power Query:
      = Table.TransformColumnNames (tblSupplier_Table, each List.Accumulate(Table.ToRecords(tblMapping),_,(state,current) => Text.Replace(state,current[BEFORE],current[AFTER])))
  • A new Imported Excel function will be created > delete that step
  • In the Main merge query remove the last Changed Type step (It is the step that appears in your pictures)
    It has old column names in it and you need it gone.
  • Select all in the Main query Ctrl+A and Transform > Detect Data Type
See how you go with the above.

One file will be

NHS NumberDOBEthnicityPatientAddress1PatientAddress2PatientAddress3PatientAddress4PatientPostcodeHospitalDateAdmittedDateTestedPositiveDateDischarged (if applicable)DischargeDestinationPatient Currently Admitted At Report Generation Time

and the other will be these headings.

NHSNumber MRN DateOfBirth EthnicCategory PatientAddress Postcode Hospital DateAdmitted DateTestedPositive DateDischarged AddressDischargedTo PostcodeDischargedTo PatientCategory InpatientAdmissionTime InpatientDischargeTime

As you can see they are mostly consistent though slightly different. I'll go through your steps now.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
In the Transform Sample File > Home > Advanced Editor
Try this:-

Power Query:
let
    Source = Excel.Workbook(Parameter1, null, true),
    Table1_Table = Source{[Item="Table1",Kind="Table"]}[Data],
    Custom1 = Table.TransformColumnNames (Table1_Table, each List.Accumulate(Table.ToRecords(Table23),_,(state,current) => Text.Replace(state,current[BEFORE],current[AFTER])))
in
    Custom1

Upvote 0
I thought it was in your original code, so if you continued on from where you were it should accept it.
If not, it should be your original source line with a comma added at the end.
The the other lines overwrite everything from there to the end (including replacing the current "in" lines)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Here is the mapping table I used

BEFOREAFTER
NHS NumberNHS Number
DOBDOB
EthnicityEthnicity (from Hospital)
PatientAddress1PatientAddress1
PatientPostcodePostcode
HospitalHospital
DateAdmittedDateAdmitted
DateTestedPositiveDate tested Positive
DateDischarged (if applicable)Date discharged (if applicable)
DischargeDestinationDischarge Destination
NHSNumberNHS Number
DateOfBirthDOB
EthnicCategoryEthnicity (from Hospital)
PatientAddressPatientAddress1
PostcodePostcode
HospitalHospital

I keep getting errors. and this is the transformation I used

= Table.TransformColumnNames(Table1_Table, each List.Accumulate(Table.ToRecords(Table23), _ , (state, current)=>Text.Replace((state), current [BEFORE],current[AFTER]) ))

Table1 is the title of the tables i want to join
Table23 is what i saved the mapping table as

Upvote 0
I keep getting errors. and this is the transformation I used

The only issue I can see with you mapping table is
• that Hospital is being mapped twice. So you might want to remove that.
• I think these might need to be added

DateDischargedDate discharged (if applicable)Reddit2
AddressDischargedToDischarge DestinationReddit2

Neither of the above seem to be causing a major error though.
Where is the error occurring and what is the M Code for the error step ?
If it is the last changed step how does it look if you go one step before that (probably the "Expanded Table Column1" step)

Upvote 0
= Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Expanded Table Column1",{{"Source.Name", type text}, {"NHS Number", Int64.Type}, {"DOB", type date}, {"Ethnicity", type text}, {"PatientAddress1", type text}, {"PatientAddress2", type text}, {"Column1", type text}, {"PatientAddress3", type text}, {"PatientAddress4", type any}, {"PatientPostcode", type text}, {"Hospital", type text}, {"DateAdmitted", type text}, {"DateTestedPositive", type date}, {"DateDischarged (if applicable)", type date}, {"DischargeDestination", type text}, {"Patient Currently Admitted At Report Generation Time", type text}})

Expression.Error: The column 'Ethnicity' of the table wasn't found. Details: Ethnicity
The only issue I can see with you mapping table is
• that Hospital is being mapped twice. So you might want to remove that.
• I think these might need to be added

DateDischargedDate discharged (if applicable)Reddit2
AddressDischargedToDischarge DestinationReddit2

Neither of the above seem to be causing a major error though.
Where is the error occurring and what is the M Code for the error step ?
If it is the last changed step how does it look if you go one step before that (probably the "Expanded Table Column1" step)

Upvote 0
Changed Type is the only step that hard codes the column names. If you have changed any of the values in the AFTER column or added new records to the mapping table, that line is going to fail.
You simply need to
  • Delete that step
  • While on what is now the last step "Expanded Table Column1"
  • Click in the grid > hit ctrl+A to select ALL then Transform > Detect data type
  • Then review the data types and on a column by column basis correct any that are wrong ie Date / Time and you want Date, Whole no and you want decimals.

One of the reasons it is currently failing is that there must have been an AFTER value of Ethnicity in the Mapping table. This is not the case in the current Mapping table. The current equivalent is "Ethnicity (from Hospital)"

Upvote 0
"Ethnicity (from Hospital)" is what I want the after value to be. What I find weird is how only half of the values are appending. Like some are but some aren't. I think all of the headings are transformed . It's just not all of the files are being appended. For example

As you can see not appended.

However if you look here:

Hospital and DateAdmitted are appended. If I scroll right, I can see the rest of the appended file.

So the problem is definitely in the transformation. I just am not sure how to fix it.

Upvote 0
So the problem is definitely in the transformation. I just am not sure how to fix it.

I am not sure that it is. I had a lot of trouble with you Reddit2 file in that the data did not align with the column headings.
I put it down to the fact that you did not use XL2BB to copy in the data but used a straight copy paste.
Ideally review your reddit2 file for proper alignment. Once you have done that if you have not found the problem feel free to send me an XL2BB copy.
If that is really not possible then try another copy paste since I only seem to have had the issue with that data (Reddit1 & Mapping table were fine)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojomen56

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back