HELP VLOOKUP using multiple criteria & different sheet

Mrs PM

I don't know how to insert an excel into the forum but I needed help with a formula. I was using vlookup but I need to now add multiple criteria.

Sheet 1
AddressIDName
123 State STB123BMVBMV
123 State STB123ATPSATPS

<tbody>
</tbody>
Sheet 2

<tbody>
</tbody>

IDAddressName
123 State STBMV
123 State STATPS

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

I'm adding the formula to sheet 2 column A. I need to match the address and name from sheet 1 to return the ID to sheet 2. I'm working with a worksheet with over 2K rows and a lot of duplicate address values. Also if there is any way to partially match the name, for example Sheet 1 name is BMV Shop, sheet 2 only has BMV.

Any Help is appreciated.

Excel Facts

Test for Multiple Conditions in IF?
Use AND(test, test, test, test) or OR(test, test, test, ...) as the logical_test argument of IF.
AddressIDName
123 State STB123BMVBMV
123 State STB123ATPSATPS
124 State STx99fred
IDAddressNameAddress Validation
B123BMV123 State STBMV123 State ST
123 State STATPS
I used the formula
=OFFSET($C$1,MATCH(M13,$C$2:$C$10,0),-1)
and for the validation
=OFFSET($B$1,MATCH(K13,$B$2:$B$10,0),-1)

<colgroup><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col span="2"></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
That is not working for me. Here is the vlookup formula I'm using to lookup the address value in the sheet 1 and return the ID to sheet 2. Since there is a duplicate address it is only pulling the ID from the last value (row 3). I need to add a criteria to also match the name to return the right ID.

=VLOOKUP(Sheet2!B2,Sheet1!A:B,2)

Upvote 0
The above was the lookup value for one column which worked fine for the addresses that are not duplicates.

I got it to work for the data above using this formula =INDEX(Sheet1!A2:C4,MATCH(B2&C2,Sheet1!A2:A4&Sheet1!C2:C4,0),2)

But it's still not working for the data sheet i'm actually working with, it's not returning all the correct values. I think it's taking me more time to figure out a formula than to check it manually using the single column vlookup. I googled the same situation and someone used an index within the match formula, which is over my head.

Upvote 0
i took info from one table and returned an id number, and then validated that address was also correct - why is this not meeting your requirement - the principle works - you need to put the sheet names it at the end - name and address match so it gives you the id

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ralemanygarcia

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back