Help with Arrays

KevinZ

Note: This was originally posted at https://www.excelforum.com/excel-programming-vba-macros/1274124-help-with-arrays.html

I have not been able to get any responses to addressing this.

My apologies if this doesn't make sense, I am new to using arrays and have been trying to research this but I am quite lost. Please let me know if this does not make sense.

I have the current solver below that I want to update variables on. The first section works correctly for a single solve but I would like it to solve numerous times to get the 2nd, 3rd etc best results. I also want to limit the number of times each value is used, for example in the sample data below, Gary can be used a maximum of 5 times, James 2 times etc. Each can only be used once per solve. When they have been used to their max, they would not be available for any successive solves. I have been told the best way to do this is to use an array and after each solve, reduce the number by one for the values used.

The second issue I am having is reducing the max solved value through each loop, I am assuming the solved for value should also go into an array so that it can be changed as well.

Lastly, for the results, I have been researching and it appears that it would be best to store the results in an array until complete then to add to my spreadsheet instead of each solve.

Can someone provide any insight on how I should approach this?

File-Copy-icon.png

<code style="font-family: monospace; font-style: normal; font-weight: 400; line-height: 12px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-top: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-top: 0px;">Option Explicit

Sub TestSolve()
'Reset Solver
SolverReset
'Create New Spreadsheet - Named "Export"
Worksheets.Add after:=Sheets("Parameters")
ActiveSheet.Name = "Export"
Worksheets("Parameters").Activate
'Loop - Number of times to run - 1 to EndNumber
Dim StartNumber As Long, EndNumber As Long, i As Long
StartNumber = 1
EndNumber = Range("L11").Value
For i = StartNumber To EndNumber
'Set Constraints
SolverOk SetCell:="$L$4", MaxMinVal:=1, ValueOf:=0, ByChange:="$A$2:$A$134", _
Engine:=1, EngineDesc:="GRG Nonlinear"
Solveradd CellRef:="$A$2:$A$134", Relation:=5, FormulaText:="binary"
Solveradd CellRef:="$L$10", Relation:=1, FormulaText:="=L$5"
Solveradd CellRef:="$L$10", Relation:=3, FormulaText:="=$L$6"
Solveradd CellRef:="$L$9", Relation:=2, FormulaText:="=$L$8"

Dim List_Current_row As Long
List_Current_row = Worksheets("Export").Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row + 1

If i = 0 Then
Worksheets("Export").Cells(List_Current_row, 1).x.Resize(1, 6) = WorksheetFunction.Transpose(Worksheets("Parameters").Range("C2:C201"))
Else
Worksheets("Export").Cells(List_Current_row, 1).x.Resize(200, 1) = WorksheetFunction.Transpose(Worksheets("Parameters").Range("C2:C201"))
End If
SolverSolve userfinish:=True
Next i
End Sub</code>
I have been able to do this manually but it takes a long time to run multiple times. I have a sample set of data I can provide if it would be helpful.

Please let me know if you have any questions or comments.

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hardey6ix

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back