Help with dynamic source folders

Shiamissi

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi everyone!
This is my first post in the forum, though not the first time I look for help in here.

I have many queries implemented where they are sourced from workbooks saved in a network drive that we share between several people.

A recurrent issue with my queries is that, whenever someone else in another laptop tries to refresh my queries, they don't run because the query cannot find the source file(s). For example, the network drive in my laptop is mapped under the letter "Z" so if someone else in another laptop has the network drive mapped under a different letter, then the query obviously doesn't work and they would need to manually update the source and change the letter of the drive in the query

This is clearly a manual operation I would like to avoid happening. Is there anyway to make the network drive source dynamic, so that the query can find the files in any laptop without taking in account the letter of the network drive?

Many thanks in advance :)

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
Every shared folder that you are using as a letter assigned drive (mapped network drive) on your Windows computer also has an actual network path (UNC path). This doesn't change on the same network and it could be used to access source files from any computer on the same network.
Sample UNC path usage to get the contents a workbook:

Power Query:
= Excel.Workbook(File.Contents("\\COMPUTER\Users\username\Documents\SharedFolderName\Book1.xlsx"), null, true)

The mapped network drive version:
Power Query:
= Excel.Workbook(File.Contents("Z:\Book1.xlsx"), null, true)

You can see the UNC path info in the file explorer following the drive letter of the mapped drive. Or you can start a command prompt (Start->Run->type cmd and Enter), then type "net use" and hit Enter. You'll see all mapped drives with UNC paths listed.

Upvote 1
Solution
Every shared folder that you are using as a letter assigned drive (mapped network drive) on your Windows computer also has an actual network path (UNC path). This doesn't change on the same network and it could be used to access source files from any computer on the same network.
Sample UNC path usage to get the contents a workbook:

Power Query:
= Excel.Workbook(File.Contents("\\COMPUTER\Users\username\Documents\SharedFolderName\Book1.xlsx"), null, true)

The mapped network drive version:
Power Query:
= Excel.Workbook(File.Contents("Z:\Book1.xlsx"), null, true)

You can see the UNC path info in the file explorer following the drive letter of the mapped drive. Or you can start a command prompt (Start->Run->type cmd and Enter), then type "net use" and hit Enter. You'll see all mapped drives with UNC paths listed.
Thank you so much!! This worked. I genuinely thought I had to take a harder route.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m_smith_solihull

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back