Help with Finding in Ranges

vba_Aja

Hi, vba newbie here. I'm trying to use the set range function to search if a string exists within it. If it cant find the string it added the string to the next row. This is fine and works correctly with the following code:

Set r1 = Range(Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A1"), Sheets(Sheet1").Range("A1").End(xlDown)).Find (What:=Sheets("Sheet2").Range("A1").Value, LookAt:=xlWhole, MatchCase:=True)

where r1 returns nothing if the string in Sheets2!A1 is not found in the full range Sheets1!A:A.

What I need to do now is add another level where if it finds the string in Sheet1!A:A it also needs to check if the corresponding value fronm that row but in Column B matches the value from Sheet2!B1.

I've tried using a for loop to search through each row individually but there are up to 50,000 rows in Sheets1, and it needs to do this with thousands of strings from Sheet2! so it takes too long to complete.

Apologies if Im talking jibberish but any help would be great!

Excel Facts

Round to nearest half hour?
Use =MROUND(A2,"0:30") to round to nearest half hour. Use =CEILING(A2,"0:30") to round to next half hour.
Hi and Welcome to the Board,

What is your desired result (what should happen when you find matches)?

Would the code need to look for more than one match of Col A & Col B, or does it only need to find up to one match per pair in Sheet2?

Upvote 0
Hi Jerry. I have 2 worksheets; 1 with existing product codes in column A and existing product group in B. And 1 with a new updated product list. Curently, Im checking if any codes from this new list are not in the existing list.

This needs expanding so it also checks if the code is in the existing sheet then does the corresponding product groups also match. If both the product code and group match then dont add the entry from the new product list. It only needs to find 1 match to return a negative response.

Any help would be great.

Upvote 0
That helps me understand what you are trying to compare but I'm still a little unclear on what you want the result of the comparison to look like.
Here's one approach for you to consider that doesn't require the use of VBA.

In your two sheets with Exising and New Product Lists, you can add two columns with the formulas shown below. The first counts matches in the Product Code. A 0 in this column on the New list means a product code has been added. A 0 in this column on the Existing List means a product code has been removed.
The second column counts matches in the Product Code and Product Group. Similarly, zeroes mean that a Product Group for a given Product Code has been added/removed.
Any numbers greater than 1 means that there are duplicates.
Excel Workbook
ABCD
1Existing Product ListCount Matches in New List
2CodesGroupsCodeCode & Group
3ABC111
4DEF210
5GHI311
6KLM410
7NOP511
8DEF310
Sheet
Excel Workbook
ABCD
1New Product ListCount Matches in Existing List
2CodesGroupsCodeCode & Group
3ABC111
4DEF2220
5GHI311
6KLM4410
7NOP511
8QRS600
9TUV700
Sheet

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yesitisasport

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back