Help with linked formulas not calculating

Kemidan2014

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I made a workbook to reference another persons workbook to do some countifs to help with accountability.
When both books are open the formulas update just fine
When i close the source book i get #VALUE! error

1) i know the formulas themselves are calculating correctly when the source workbook is OPEN so its not a formula syntax error
2) the formulas when the SOURCE workbook is CLOSED, Display the correct file path for the source book where it is located
3) My workbook and source workbook are on the same Drive of the Network
4) Confirmed Calculation options are set to Automatic.

What could be other reasons why these externally linked referenced formulas are not updating when the i open my work book but leave the source book closed?

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
You cannot use any of the xxxIF(S) functions on a closed workbook, you would need to use sumproduct instead.

Upvote 0
Oooh see now that i did not know,

Here is the formula I am currently using, this basically repeated multiple times because for example "F3" is just the cell to the left of this formula, D1 amd H1 is a cell with the Year and a cell with the Month in number format.

=COUNTIFS('[CORE PIN TRACKING SHEET.xlsx]984 TCC2 SHEET'!$D:$D,F3,'[CORE PIN TRACKING SHEET.xlsx]984 TCC2 SHEET'!$A:$A,">="&DATE($D$1,$H$1,1),'[CORE PIN TRACKING SHEET.xlsx]984 TCC2 SHEET'!$A:$A,"<="&DATE($D$1,$H$1,31))

how do i achieve the same result but using SumProduct because i had difficulty using SUMPRODUCT before i ended up using countifs instead. i feel like i dont quite fully understand how Sum product works and cant get the Syntax right.

essentially i am asking "tell me how many times Core pin# identified by Column F(Row#) is replaced in Year D1 and month H1"

I am not asking for a perfect formula to copy paste just some guidance.

source workbook: Column D is where Core pin# is entered and Column A is the Date replaced.

Upvote 0
Roughly how many rows of data do you have on the "984 TCC2 SHEET" sheet?

Upvote 0
right now, there are 5 lines,

but over time this will grow and more lines will be added

Upvote 0
Ok how about
Excel Formula:
=SUMPRODUCT(('[CORE PIN TRACKING SHEET.xlsx]984 TCC2 SHEET'!$D$2:$D$1000=F3)*('[CORE PIN TRACKING SHEET.xlsx]984 TCC2 SHEET'!$A$2:$A$1000>=DATE($D$1,$H$1,1))*('[CORE PIN TRACKING SHEET.xlsx]984 TCC2 SHEET'!$A$2:$A$1000<=DATE($D$1,$H$1,31)))

Upvote 0
Solution
That works perfectly. i think i now have a better understanding of the Syntax for SUM PRODUCT

it actually seems to process and open must faster now. Thank you for your help

Upvote 0
You're welcome & thanks for the feedback.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m_smith_solihull

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back