Help Working Out Roster Please

jenny0594

Hello

I would like some help with information on how to work out a roster as I am not sure the best place to start tbh.

Ok here goes

I work in a shop with 21 employees all working different hours eg part time, full time, with a mix of some people who do set shifts like the students who only work nights/weekends, to the working mums who work set days and shifts, then there are some others who have set hours but no set days.

The store requires cover

Mon-Thurs 0700-2000
Friday 0700-2015
Saturday 0700-1900
Sunday 0800-1800

At the moment we are only given a weeks roster at a time every Saturday for the following week which is very difficult to work with.

I would like if possible to start working out something where it is a bit more fair so that the weekends and evenings are spread across most staff so it is not always the same people. Also I would like to work it out that every so many weeks most members would get a full weekend off (this would not apply to the students as these are the only days some of them work).

I would also like excel to calculate the total number of hours worked each day and also for it to deduct the breaks.

I was thinking it may be best to work out a 4 week roster so that I can hopefully get something that works for everyone as best we can.

I realise there is a lot to take into consideration, but would really appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction.

Many Thanks in advance :)

Excel Facts

Shade all formula cells
To shade all formula cells: Home, Find & Select, Formulas to select all formulas. Then apply a light fill color.
Hi jenny

This is a big project then.
You will need to supply more information for people to help you get going.
How many staff are full time and how many part time for instance.
I am not sure there is much anyone can help you with, so many variables.
How many staff should be in the store at any one time, is more required at the weekend for instance.
Any particular worker not able to work certian days etc.

Upvote 0
Hi jenny

This is a big project then.
You will need to supply more information for people to help you get going.
How many staff are full time and how many part time for instance.
I am not sure there is much anyone can help you with, so many variables.
How many staff should be in the store at any one time, is more required at the weekend for instance.
Any particular worker not able to work certian days etc.

Hi Squidd

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Yes you are correct it is a big project with a lot of variables which is why I think the roster we have at the moment is a nightmare as it is quite difficult to work out.

I do not do the roster, the manager does but due to many variables is struggling to try and come up with anything permanent and it is a constant headache for the manager so I thought maybe I would sit and start to put everyones names into an excel sheet and put in the people that work set hours first and store opening times etc to at least try and make a start.

There are 6 different areas all of which must be covered some with one person others with two and can be more on weekends.

Tbh squidd I myself do not know the answers to your questions above yet. I am basically starting at the beginning as I wanted to try and put a basic spreadsheet together before I go to my manager and ask her these questions as she has not actually asked me to help her I just thought I would give it a go as the constant changing shifts is difficult for everyone.

I mean there must be a better way than what we have just now.

Your thoughts!!!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PressEscape

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back