Hide or Group cells in Middle of spreadsheet

cocks17

Hi

Im running excel 2010. I need to hide or group some cells in the middle of a spreadsheet to create a custom view of them hidden.

I tried using the format cell>custom and using three semicolons (;;;) but this simply hides the contents and doesnt group the cells like it would if you hid the whole row or column.

Is this possible?

Thanks
Paul

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
Can you explain how you expect Excel to hide cells without hiding entire rows or columns? I mean exactly how would you imagine that the workbook would look?

Upvote 0
Can you explain how you expect Excel to hide cells without hiding entire rows or columns? I mean exactly how would you imagine that the workbook would look?

Hi

Yup after some thinking I realised this would never really work as the cell references would be completely off wouldnt they?. I imgined some kind of mid page "+" and "-" in the top left of an "Island of cells" as you mentioned. This botton would expand certain cells rather than the left group expand buttons we currently have when expanding group rows out.

What Im really trying to achieve is a custom view where some graphs are hidden. I have drop downs which the user can change to alter the graphs on the left side of the graphs. Unfortunately the drop downs look awful if i reposition them above the graphs for instance and just do "Group Rows" for those rows which the graphs appear on. I cannot do the alternative and hide the columns as the data which controls the graphs is below the graph and I need this to be visable.

P

Upvote 0
You can set objects as Visible or not within VBA macros. Would that help?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwine77

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back