Highlight and insert date in the next cell when copy a cell

excelcraze

Board Regular
Hello Excel Experts,

I have an Excel file where I have got three sheets, let's call it Source, Result and Report. Source sheet contain lot of data in rows and columns, in Result sheet I have some array formula which brings up the result I wanted from the Source sheet. When I enter the key in Cell B7 in Result sheet it brings up the data I want from the Source sheet. It brings up all matches in rows and columns and each cell I have a control button which will copy the content in that particular cell. Everything works good enough.

Now, here is what I need. I have to create a report, for that, as I can't play with the data in Source sheet I have created another sheet called Report which will have same data which is there in the Source sheet. - If you now take a look at the sample file I have created I hope you it will help you understand easily - As I told you I have a control button in each cell in the result area which will copy the data in that particular cell (for other purpose I have created it) I want something else also to happen in behind. The data which is copied is to he highlighted in the Report sheet and in the next cell the date of that day to be inserted. If the same data copy on another day date should not be updated.

It's an immediate requirement, please help ASAP.

Thanks in advance.

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.
where is the example sheet?
Can you post the code that you have with your buttons?

Upvote 0
...The data which is copied is to he highlighted in the Report sheet and in the next cell the date of that day to be inserted. If the same data copy on another day date should not be updated.

So if I click on the button in cell H14 in your example (PQR100) then cell K14 should now contain today's date, but only if it didn't already contain a date. Is that correct understanding? What if there are four occurences, then it would be L14? It is not clear what you mean with 'the next cell'.

Upvote 0
Sorry for not conveying clearly.

In the example file from column A:E represent Source sheet in my original file, G:J represent Result sheet and now I modified from M:S which represent another sheet called Report in the same workbook. In sample file I used only one sheet just for your convenience so that you could see them all in one sheet than switching sheets just to see what and where the data.

As you said if you click on the button in the cell H14 (PQR100), PQR100 in the Report sheet to be highlighted (It's P9 in the example) and date to be inserted in Q9 (if it's possible to add computer name I would prefer to add one more column after every Date (O, Q, S, in the example) column because this file is gonna be shared among the users on our office network.

Once the cell is highlighted and date is inserted then if the button is clicked again date in the report page should not be updated as I want to know when is the first hit.

Remember, contents from H13:J15 will vary depending on the key you entered in I9 (Result sheet).

If PQR100 repeats in the Report sheet, then the first match to be highlighted and date to be inserted, if the first match is highlighted and date is inserted then second match to be highlighted and date to be inserted so on and so forth. It happens rarely, I just thought to make it advanced if possible so that I won't suffer in the future. If it's difficult you may leave this part.

After all this highlighted I actually want to take a report which will show only which are not highlighted against the project number (Column M in the example). You can also leave this part too if it's difficult, at least I can do that manually.

Thank you for your time and interest in helping.

Upvote 0
OK, understand. Next problem: some values like ERE appear more than once (one in CL3 one in CL2). So if the were filtered into the Result page and I wold click on ERE on the CL2 row, I assume that you want to highlight etc the relevant ERE in the Report table.
this means I need to know which button was pressed in the Result page. And I am assuming that all your buttons have the same code.

How big is the real table on the result page, is it just as shown with only 9 buttons, or can it grow?
Would it be possible to use a double mouseclick instead of a button? that way I know which cell has been clicked and therefore in which column I need to change things.

I can get the username instead of the pc name if that is OK?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bsb1122

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back