How do I change the grouping of radio buttons aka option buttons?

dan7055

In excel VBA, the radio buttons are grouped together in a sense that if you selection one radio button, it deselects the other so that only one can be checked at a time.

However, how do I have two different sets of option buttons on the same sheet that don't get grouped together?

Thanks,
Dan

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
In excel VBA, the radio buttons are grouped together in a sense that if you selection one radio button, it deselects the other so that only one can be checked at a time.

However, how do I have two different sets of option buttons on the same sheet that don't get grouped together?

Thanks,
Dan
If you are using form controls, place each set of buttons within a separate Group Box (look for this on the form controls menu).

Upvote 0
Hello,

I have almost similar problem. I have multiple option buttons and I have grouped them with different Group boxes(Form Control) and I have made sure all related option buttons are enclosed in their own group box and no box has an overlap.
I have had 2 problems so far:
1- when I click a button in my first box, another button in 4th box is also selected.
2- within one box, I can select 2 option buttons at the same time!

what am I doing wrong?
I need these buttons to return a value in specific cell that is being used in another sheet's vlookup and I couldn't figure this out how to use ActiveX for that purpose.

thanks for your answers in advance.

Upvote 0
Hello,

I have almost similar problem. I have multiple option buttons and I have grouped them with different Group boxes(Form Control) and I have made sure all related option buttons are enclosed in their own group box and no box has an overlap.
I have had 2 problems so far:
1- when I click a button in my first box, another button in 4th box is also selected.
2- within one box, I can select 2 option buttons at the same time!

what am I doing wrong?
I need these buttons to return a value in specific cell that is being used in another sheet's vlookup and I couldn't figure this out how to use ActiveX for that purpose.

thanks for your answers in advance.
I can only guess. The order of adding the boxes and controls is the culprit. Add a box before you add the controls you want in it.

Upvote 0
Joe,

thanks for response, actually I saw all tutorials say add the box and then add the buttons. So I deleted all my existing buttons and added the group box and then added all buttons. NOPE! didn't help. first round that I click they all work but on the second round they act up.
is there any option (like the ActiveX property table) that I can tell which box they belong to?

Upvote 0
Update: I made my group boxes way bigger than the area I had my buttons in. I have clicked on everything 3 times already and they seem to be working(after 3 days!!!!!) if they act up again I will share my workbook with you to see and diagnose my spreadsheet MENTAL issues. lol

I am glad this problem finally made me create an account here. I've been always reading silently. now I got a chance to say hi.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kshealy

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back