How do I change the length of a linear trend line?

boalsjr

I have a chart which plots several different data series in a simple linear graph. Each of these series has a linear trend line. All these trend lines simply match the length of the plot line.

However, for one particular series, the trend line extends the entire length of the graph. I checked the Format->Trendline window on all the other lines and they show the "Backwards" box grayed out. But on this one particular trend line that runs the length of the graph, it's not. Everything else matches the other (short) trend lines.

The Options tab has:

Custom title
Forecast: Forward = 0 Backward = 0
Set intercept, Display equation, Display R-squared value are all NOT checked.

When the linear trend line extends the length of the chart, it compresses the scale and makes the whole chart look funny.

Has anybody run into this problem? If so, how do I fix it?

Thanks,

Jon

Excel Facts

Shade all formula cells
To shade all formula cells: Home, Find & Select, Formulas to select all formulas. Then apply a light fill color.
are you sure that there is not a stray data point which would plot "off the graph"? for this series?
This could create the effect I think you describe.

Upvote 0
I checked the data thoroughly, based on your suggestion. I cannot find any stray points. Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Upvote 0
One other way I could create a similar problem is by having blank cells included in a data series - have you checked for this?

I assume you have tried deleting and re-creating the particular data series definition and its associated trendline just in case there is something oddball in the definition.

Otherwise - You've got me stumped!
A second-rate workaround maybe to force the Chart scale (ie uncheck the auto scaling) to prevent the shrinkage of the chart data. - but that doesn't find the root cause of your problem.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnur

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back