how do i highlight the values in a *filtered* list?

bigdan

Office Version
  1. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
I want take a list (which doesnt have any highlights), filter it, and then have the items that are duplicated there get highlighted.

Please see pic.

In this list, at the top we can see Toronto is mentioned multiple times. That's irrelevant. If you'll look at what happens when we filter it (row 11), Toronto is only mentioned once, and Montreal is mentioned twice. So I'd like Montreal to be highlighted, not Toronto.

I do a reconciliation daily, which would involve me to filter something tens of times, maybe like 50+. So I'd really like to find something that would just take a few steps. If a solution would require me to do 4 steps for every filter, that wouldn't work for me. Of course if there's many steps involved just the first time and after that it's much more automated, that's fine.

Maybe using this formula in CF (see in English)

Select B2:B8
Home > Conditional Formatting > New > Use a formula to determine...
=AND(SUBTOTAL(3,A$2:A$8)<>COUNTA(A$2:A$8),INDEX(FREQUENCY(IF(SUBTOTAL(3,OFFSET(B$2:B$8,ROW(B$2:B$8)-ROW(B$2),0,1)),MATCH(B$2:B$8,B$2:B$8,0)),ROW(B$2:B$8)-ROW(B$2)+1),MATCH(B2,B$2:B$8,0))>1)

Before filter
Pasta2
AB
1ListCity
2ABCToronto
3DEFToronto
4GHIMontreal
5ABCMontreal
6DEFMontreal
7GHIMontreal
8ABCToronto
Plan1
Cells with Conditional Formatting
CellConditionCell FormatStop If True
B2:B8Expression=E(SUBTOTAL(3;A$2:A$8)<>CONT.VALORES(A$2:A$8);ÍNDICE(FREQÜÊNCIA(SE(SUBTOTAL(3;DESLOC(B$2:B$8;LIN(B$2:B$8)-LIN(B$2);0;1));CORRESP(B$2:B$8;B$2:B$8;0));LIN(B$2:B$8)-LIN(B$2)+1);CORRESP(B2;B$2:B$8;0))>1)textNO

Applying filter
Pasta2
AB
1ListCity
2ABCToronto
5ABCMontreal
8ABCToronto
Plan1
B2:B8Expression=E(SUBTOTAL(3;A$2:A$8)<>CONT.VALORES(A$2:A$8);ÍNDICE(FREQÜÊNCIA(SE(SUBTOTAL(3;DESLOC(B$2:B$8;LIN(B$2:B$8)-LIN(B$2);0;1));CORRESP(B$2:B$8;B$2:B$8;0));LIN(B$2:B$8)-LIN(B$2)+1);CORRESP(B2;B$2:B$8;0))>1)textNO

Or
Pasta2
AB
1ListCity
3DEFToronto
6DEFMontreal
Plan1

Or
Pasta2
AB
1ListCity
4GHIMontreal
7GHIMontreal
Plan1

Or
Pasta2
AB
1ListCity
3DEFToronto
4GHIMontreal
6DEFMontreal
7GHIMontreal
Plan1

Hope this helps

M.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back