How do I reference column header name from another worksheet instead of the letter

yakhtar

First time posting here.

I have an excel worksheet (I'll refer to it as "Data") from where I am pulling data on other sheets using Sumifs formula. Up until today I was downloading the raw data and pasting it on the "Data" worksheet. In my dashboard worksheet I am using Sumifs formula to look up data from the "Data" worksheet and put it on the dashboard worksheet.

For example, =SUMIFS(Data!$C:$C,Data!$AD:$AD) - where column "C" refers to "Revenue" and column "AD" refers to "Payment Date".

How can I use column header names (Revenue and Payment Date) instead of "C" or "AD". The reason I want to use this approach is that the columns can shift from day to day but not the header name.

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Try something like this...
Code:
=SUMIF(INDEX(Data!$A:$AZ,0,MATCH("Revenue",Data!$1:$1,0)), 
             MyCriteria,
                  INDEX(Data!$A:$AZ,0,MATCH("[COLOR=#333333]Payment Date[/COLOR]",Data!$1:$1,0)))

Upvote 0
Thank you for your quick response, much appreciated. Allow me to be a little dense (relatively new to Excel). I used your formula and have some questions - what would go in place of MyCriteria? Also, I am using a cell reference to capture the date for each day to be populated. As you can see from the sample image (red circle 2) that I am capturing date in Cell F5 to populate revenue for that date. How will I be able to do this using your formula. I hope I am able to make sense.
VdJRgqOred

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peter Juhnke

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back