How do I Write this 'IF' or 'Lookup' Formula in a Cell with a Resulting Value in a Different Cell?

coastalcraig

Sorry I’m such a newbie at this.

• I have a cell - C2, which can have any whole number value between 1 and 223 - except 127. (You may correctly recognize this as the Classful IP address ranges A, B and C).
  • I desire to have another cell which refers to C2. This cell is B6. I would like B6 to end up with only 1 of 3 possible values - 8, 16 or 24. What I am looking for isa formula:

1. If cell C2 has a whole number value of 1 through 126, B6 should have a value of 8
  2. If cell C2 has a whole number value of 128 through 191, B6 should have a value of 16
  3. If cell C2 has a whole number value of 192 through 223, B6 should have a value of 24

I am a complete rookie but did manage an ‘IF’ statement in some other cells. I have not been able to learn how to create an ‘IF’ statement that accomplishes my goal.

I tried every combination of:

=IF(A1<127, A1>0,8,IF(A1<192, A1>127,16)) but this doesn’t seem to work.

I tried to see if I could do it with a range:

=IF(A1=(1:126,8,IF(A1=(128:191,16)) but this didn’t seem to work either.

I have zero experience in formulas but have made a fairly strong effort at this and don’t know what to do:(

You folks are extremely generous to offer assistance. I would really appreciate it if you helped me out with this.

Thanks,

coastalcraig

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my question. I like seeing the long form that you have used. It helps me better grasp the concept so hopefully I can do this for myself next time around.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
Hi Jeff,

I like this idea of the 'Lookup' statement. When it is applicable it sure seems like it would simplify things. I am a visual learner so I enjoyed the more graphical representation of your answer. In fact, for anyone that would utilizing the spreadsheet calculator I am making, they would be knowledgeable enough to not enter 127 or any number higher than they would need. So this does serve my purpose. My subnet/host network calculator is very simple, hopefully in the future I can increase its functionality. I'm not sure it would benefit anybody but if they had an interest in it I would be happy to share it if there is a way to do so that is appropriate to the rules of this forum.

I appreciate your kindness for responding to my question.

Thank you very much!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amriddin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back