How do you average the 10 lowest numbers from a list of 20?

patwcar said:
Didn't mean to offend.

"Offense", even if meant, is a secondary issue to me. "Works" here can be read by the third parties as "this formula works, that formula not", thereby thwarting their understanding the formulas.

Your formula worked, it was simply not the calculation I wanted.

The answer, in the context I need, to your question is 2.

If 2 is the answer you require, you have to switch to the formula with INDIRECT...

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.
Then, you should reexamine your belief that the SUMIF formula works. Try it with 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,10,11. If *any* number in the bottom 10 is repeated, every occurence of that number is included in the SUM but the denominator is not adjusted. The result is...well, I don't know what...but it sure does not satisfy the definition of an average.

patwcar said:
{snip}

The answer, in the context I need, to your question is 2.

{snip}

Upvote 0
tusharm said:
...the denominator is not adjusted.
They're right, pat. It was a knucklehead mistake on my part, neglecting the possibility of nonunique entries in your range. Are you understanding what the problem is with my initial suggestion?

Upvote 0
Yes, I understand the nature of the problem. To restate, if identical numbers exist and extend the total number of numbers to be more than 10, you can't get an accurate average.

So, if the other formula is correct, I am not installing it correctly because I get the wrong response. What does confirm with control+shift+enter mean/do.

Upvote 0
patwcar said:
Yes, I understand the nature of the problem. To restate, if identical numbers exist and extend the total number of numbers to be more than 10, you can't get an accurate average.

So, if the other formula is correct, I am not installing it correctly because I get the wrong response. What does confirm with control+shift+enter mean/do.

It's a so-called array formula. Such formulas must be confirmed by hitting the combination of control+shift+enter, This combination signals Excel to treat the formula as such.
aaAverageStrictlyNsmallestWithINDIRECT patwcar.xls
ABCD
Sheet1

C2:

=AVERAGE(SMALL(A1:A20,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&MIN(10,COUNT(A1:A20))))))

If you properly apply control+shift+enter, you'll see braces around the formula appear on the Formula Bar.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adunn_23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back