How to automatically identify cell-based array delimiter?

Rnkhch

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,

Suppose there are cells that store a few numbers/texts as below:

Book1
ABC
282,78,53,A-,37,B
3C+;67;45;12;A;92
467,13;33,F,83
Sheet2

How can I automatically figure out what the delimiter is for each cell? And if there is more than one delimiter, get an error message?

Thanks for any input! 🤗

P.S. I need this to simplify a cool LAMBDA that I'm working on which I will post later in LAMBDA Functions :cool:

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
Do you just want to identify the delimiter or do you need to convert it it to an actual array?

If you have the TEXTSPLIT function then that is likely to be the easiest way to do either (I haven't used it yet so can't say for certain).

Please note that the syntax of the concept formulas below may not be accurate, I'm doing this on phone so brackets and commas often get missed.

Without it you could use LEN(text)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(text,delimiter,"")) to test for a shorter string when the delimiter is removed. Splitting it to an array would mean identifying the delimiter then using something like MID(SUBSTITUTE(text,delimiter,REPT(" ",LEN(text))text,FIND(delimiter,text))*SEQUENCE(LEN(text)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(text,delimiter,"")),,0),LEN(text))

Whatever you go with, you would need to give the formula a list of possible delimiters to work with, I don't know of any current function that has the ability to guess what it might be.

Upvote 0
Suppose there are cells that store a few numbers/text as below
I'm not sure that I would have a suggestion for you, but there would need to be some logic to determine what constitutes a delimiter.
For example if the cells store numbers/text then without such logic, cell B2 might store these texts
"82,78,53,A" and ",37,B" with a delimiter of "-"

Upvote 0
Thanks guys!

@jasonb75
Do you just want to identify the delimiter?
My initial goal was to write a LAMBDA that would easily call the nth element of such array. I wrote a LAMBDA based on one of my older threads:

=LAMBDA(element_number,cell_array,delimeter)

The LAMBDA works well, but I wanted to see if I could simplify it by making it automatically find the delimiter, so that the LAMBDA would look like this:

=LAMBDA(element_number,cell_array)

But I realized that, as Peter mentioned too above, it will be really hard to determine what the delimiter would be. So I guess I'm gonna have to leave the "delimiter" parameter in my LAMBDA, unless you guys can come up with any magic solution(s) 😅.

or do you need to convert it to an actual array?
Actually my next goal was to write another LAMBDA that would break the cell-based array into a spilled array. So since you already have a function, I'm gonna use that and test it, but the syntax is not right and I couldn't fix it (I tried a number of ways).

Do you mind checking the syntax of your formula and let me know the corrected syntax:
=MID(SUBSTITUTE(text,delimiter,REPT(" ",LEN(text))text,FIND(delimiter,text))*SEQUENCE(LEN(text)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(text,delimiter,"")),,0),LEN(text))

@Peter_SSs
Totally agree with your point. I have been thinking the same. One idea I came up with was to have a function that would use the most reasonable delimiters such as comma and semicolon and give a message if it didn't find them, but it's probably gonna be very complex even for you guys to code that. So it's probably best to leave the delimiter parameter in the LAMBDA, but please let me know if you have any additional thoughts.

Upvote 0
One idea I came up with was to have a function that would use the most reasonable delimiters such as comma and semicolon ..
Well, if there was only a small number of them, could you use something like one of these?

Rnkhch.xlsm
BCDE
1Count of each delimiterNo. of different delimitersNo. of different delimiters
282,78,53,A-,37,B, 5 ; 0 - 122
3C+;67;45;12;A;92, 0 ; 5 - 012
467,13;33,F,83, 3 ; 1 - 022
568/55/704/8, 0 ; 0 - 001
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C2:C5C2=LET(L,LEN(B2),TEXTJOIN(CHAR(10),,", "&L-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(B2,",","")),"; "&L-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(B2,";","")),"- "&L-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(B2,"-",""))))
D2:D5D2=COUNT(FIND({",",";","-"},B2))
E2:E5E2=LET(delims,",;-+/",COUNT(FIND(MID(delims,SEQUENCE(LEN(delims)),1),B2)))

Upvote 0
You are an absolute genius, not relative!! 🙃 So I could use your column E formulas and say for example if the numbers of delimiters is 1 (such as in E5), then proceed with the rest of the operation:

=LET(t,LET(delims,",;-+/",COUNT(FIND(MID(delims,SEQUENCE(LEN(delims)),1),B5))),IF(t=1,operation,"fix delimiters"))

Now, I would need one more function to output the "only" delimiter for when there is only one delimiter, so that I can supply that delimiter to my main function's "delimiter" parameter. Thanks much! 🤗

P.S.
I'm taking back my previous statement 😂
it's probably gonna be very complex even for you guys to code that

Upvote 0
ow, I would need one more function to output the "only" delimiter for when there is only one delimiter
Something like this?

Rnkhch.xlsm
BI
282,78,53,A,37,B,
3C+;67;45;12;A;92fix delims
467,13;33,F,83fix delims
568/55/704/8/
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
I2:I5I2=LET(delims,",;-+/",L,LEN(delims),fnd,FIND(MID(delims,SEQUENCE(L),1),B2),IF(COUNT(fnd)=1,MID(delims,MATCH(L,fnd),1),"fix delims"))

Upvote 0
Fabulous! That's exactly what I needed! 🍻 Thanks! 🤗

Upvote 0
One question: in your latest formula of post #7, how does the MATCH function work? From what I see in the formula evaluate window:

MATCH(5,{#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;3})

evaluates to 5, but there are no 5s in the lookup_array :unsure: Is it due to the match_type not being available, so it's doing an approximation?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PressEscape

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back