How to calculate distance between values

vladi305

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a sheet with 0 and 1s. The 1 represent an event. I want to calculate the distance between 1 values. The sheet is large with over 100 columns and around 1400 rows so I want to be able to either do it automatically or by dragging the formula. Everytime there's a 1 I want to mark it with the distance between the one found and the previous one. I need this data to later find how often the event happen

Attachments

• minisheet.jpg
    minisheet.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 36

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
Did you follow the instructions on the page I linked to?
If so do you see the XL2BB tab on the ribbon?

Upvote 0
Are you saying the formula I suggested now works?

Upvote 0
Are you saying the formula I suggested now works?
No because I need it to work with formulas and in addition to that dragging from bottom to top and this only works down. Correct if I'm wrong please.

Upvote 0
It doesn't matter if there are formulae in the other cells as long as they return either 0 or 1.
Why would you want to drag from bottom up? Your image clearly shows you want to count from the 1st 1 to then next 1 below it, which is exactly what that formula does.

Upvote 0
It doesn't matter if there are formulae in the other cells as long as they return either 0 or 1.
Why would you want to drag from bottom up? Your image clearly shows you want to count from the 1st 1 to then next 1 below it, which is exactly what that formula does.
The dates go from bottom to top and if I want to note how long did it take from Dec 5 to 12 and then from the 12 to 14 that will be 7 and 2. If I count from top ill get 2 and 7

Upvote 0
So are you saying the image you posted is wrong? In E6 you have 1 in E7 5 & in E12 34 which suggests you are count to the next row below.

Upvote 0
So are you saying the image you posted is wrong? In E6 you have 1 in E7 5 & in E12 34 which suggests you are count to the next row below.
You seem to look things only your way and haven't read my post carefully. The image I posted is correct. The events happen every other day counting up. That particular event you mentioned on E7 happened on December 28 and it falls the 5th event since the last one counting up. Then it happened on the 30th and I noted 1 because it's the next event.

Upvote 0
But the formula I suggested does exactly what your image shows.
If it is not working then you will need to post some data, or share a workbook that shows the problem.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back