How to calculate multiple values referenced to a single value for multiple data entries

SomeCallMeGenius

Board Regular
Hello all,

I am new to this forum, and don't know much about excel. Here is what I am trying to do: -

A B C D E F G H I
1 Name G 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
2 Roger C C G G C C C
3 Kristie G G C C C C C
4 Paul C C C C G C C
5 Joe C C C C C C G

So column A2:A5 has some names, Row C1:I1 has dates, on each specific date, all users are assigned specific tasks (either C or G). What I want to do here is is to fill each cell in column B2:B5 with the dates on which a particular user has to do task "G".

Like B2 should have the value 3,4. B3 - 1,2. B4 - 5 and B5 - 7.

I tried using Vlookup but it only returns the first date. I looked up on net and found an array formula, couldn't quite get it working with my data. Any suggestion or help would be appreciated. Thanks all.

Regards,
SG

Excel Facts

Did you know Excel offers Filter by Selection?
Add the AutoFilter icon to the Quick Access Toolbar. Select a cell containing Apple, click AutoFilter, and you will get all rows with Apple
So data looks all messy and can't quite get html maker, not sure how to put it in a better way in this forum.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
so did some more research, found a UDF for vlookup - "vlookupnth", not able to get it working either. Help needed guys, please suggest.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Thanks.

Upvote 0
Please guys, still need some help. If this is something not possible, let me know. Or if it require some UDF, please let me know.

Thanks.
-SG

Upvote 0
SomeCallMeGeniusI am not sure what you are trying to achieve....:biggrin:

Put things precise and clear....:biggrin:

Upvote 0
If you don't have it already, download and install the MOREFUNC add-in.
Excel Workbook
ABCDEFGHI
1NameG1234567
2Roger3,4,CCGGCCC
3Kristie1,2,GGCCCCC
4Paul5,CCCCGCC
5Joe7,CCCCCCG
Sheet

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You could try this macro in a copy of your workbook. Post back if you need help with how to implement it.

It assumes the 'Task of Interest' is in cell B1 and the main data starts in cell C1. the result of running the code on your data (with a few more rows added by me) is shown below.

<font face=Courier New><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> Tasks()<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> aData<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> Results() <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">String</SPAN><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> r <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Long</SPAN>, c <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Long</SPAN>, lr <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Long</SPAN>, lc <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Long</SPAN><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> s <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">String</SPAN>, task <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">String</SPAN><br>    <br>    Application.ScreenUpdating = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">False</SPAN><br>    Application.EnableEvents = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">False</SPAN><br>    lr = Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row<br>    lc = Cells(1, Columns.Count).End(xlToLeft).Column<br>    aData = Range("C1", Cells(lr, lc)).Value<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">ReDim</SPAN> Results(1 <SPAN style="color:#00007F">To</SPAN> lr - 1)<br>    task = Range("B1").Value<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">For</SPAN> r = 2 <SPAN style="color:#00007F">To</SPAN> lr<br>        s = ""<br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">For</SPAN> c = 1 <SPAN style="color:#00007F">To</SPAN> lc - 2<br>            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> aData(r, c) = task <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN><br>                s = s & "," & aData(1, c)<br>            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN><br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Next</SPAN> c<br>        Results(r - 1) = Replace(s, ",", "", 1, 1)<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Next</SPAN> r<br>    Range("B2").Resize(UBound(aData, 1) - 1).Value = Application.Transpose(Results)<br>    Application.EnableEvents = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">True</SPAN><br>    Application.ScreenUpdating = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">True</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN><br></FONT>

Excel Workbook
ABCDEFGHIJ
1NameG1234567
2Roger3,4CCGGCCC
3Kristie1,2GGCCCCC
4Paul5CCCCGCC
5Joe7CCCCCCG
6Sam1,2,3,4,5,6,7GGGGGGG
7TimCCCCCCC
8Ted2,4,6XGGGY
Sheet8

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erald

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back