How to change the cell reference of many formulas quickly?

Computer

SubjectStart DateStart TimeEnd DateEnd TimeAll Day EventDescriptionLocationPrivate
Orient1/7/20198a1/7/201912pFALSESpring Orient. Rm 681TRUE
LM1/7/20191p1/7/20194pFALSEResume Building rm 681TRUE
LAB1/8/20191p1/8/20194pFALSESkills LabTRUE
AH1/9/20198a1/9/201912pFALSESkills LabTRUE

<tbody>
</tbody>

The formula in cell A2 looks like this { =IF(ISTEXT(LEFT(OFFSET('Spring Weekly schedule'!C$6,0,ROW()-2),SEARCH(" ",OFFSET('Spring Weekly schedule'!C$6,0,ROW()-2))-1)),LEFT(OFFSET('Spring Weekly schedule'!C$6,0,ROW()-2),SEARCH(" ",OFFSET('Spring Weekly schedule'!C$6,0,ROW()-2))-1),"") }

Id like to be able to quickly change the row reference for C$6 as there are many cells and Ill do this many times. I was hoping I could do something like C$(B22) and then every time change the number in B22 it auto populates. Is this possible or is there some other reasonable solution?

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.
Not sure about your case but I use Named Ranges.
Then change the value in the named Range
Like This:

=SUMIF(Names,Name,Totals)

Upvote 0
Datapull.png

This is the sheet that the data is being pulled from. If any other info is needed please let me know.

Upvote 0
I cannot see a image here. And I just gave a example of mine.

I really do not know what your formula is trying to do.

Upvote 0
AF1QipMwoN0Hbdyy3T08B8dDaysZdp5nVMHYwltwfHZA

This is the correct photo I meant to send the first time. As far as sumif goes I am pretty sure it won't work the way I have it set up. Id be happy to change my setup but Im not sure I could make it work?

Upvote 0
I can't see your example nor can I figure out how to post my png file. I used the insert image and it adds the url but that's the end of it. I'm pulling data from an excel calendar for multiple people covering 6 months. The formula is only supposed to pull the string from left to right ending with space as several points of data are in one cell (orient 9a-12p). That data must be in 3 separate cells, the other problem is the sheet follows a row order and I need it in column order.

Upvote 0
This is beyond my knowledgebase.
I will continue to monitor this thread to see what I can learn.

I'm sure later today someone else here at Mr. Excel will be able to help you.

Upvote 0
I was hoping I could do something like C$(B22) and then every time change the number in B22 it auto populates.

Hi, welcome to the forum!

Try this alternative in A2 copied down.

=TRIM(LEFT(SUBSTITUTE(INDEX('Spring Weekly Schedule'!$C:$Z,$B$22,ROWS(A$2:A2))," ",REPT(" ",255)),255))

I'm assuming your original formula was normally entered (even though you included curly braces {}) - this is normally entered also.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xxr-FOU4ozLGDz17T_juRQw1f31HSW1eVg/view?usp=sharing

Round three. If this doesn't work can someone tell me how to post an image? FormR this is a copy of the 'Spring Weekly Schedule' sheet. Each row is a student. I tried your formula (which I don't understand what it is so I can adjust it) and it returns blanck cells all the way through? Also, yes the formula is entered normal lol. I have no idea how to use this editor.

Upvote 0
Not sure why but I'm now able to see your image which before I could not see.

But FormR formula works for me.

You need to enter formula into cell then Press Ctrl+Shift+Enter

Now in the Formula Bar you should see:

{=TRIM(LEFT(SUBSTITUTE(INDEX('Spring Weekly Schedule'!$C:$Z,$B$22,ROWS(A$2:A2))," ",REPT(" ",255)),255))}

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Miahr

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back