How to compare 2 tables (master and data) and show the extra cells in the data on the master

Phyles

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I've setup my Project staff tracking sheet against their time sheets - but I cant see who is new on the data table
  1. I have 2 lists of names on 2 sheets (master and data) in 1 xls file.
  2. I currently use =XLOOKUP($A2,'RPV Data'!$B:$B,'RPV Data'!$A:$A, "...") on the master sheet to find what names match - master table to data table.
  3. I was hoping to do a nested xlookup (or another formula) to also show what extra names are in data table but not in master table. ie jon Doe only in data only.
  4. Then I can add Jon Doe if apporved to master table to be shown in the above #2 point.
  5. So far trying multi fomulars I can only get matched etc but not the cell contents ie Jon Doe.

Attachments

• data.png
    data.png
    92.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Staff sheet.png
    Staff sheet.png
    71.2 KB · Views: 7

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
This formula will show all names that aren't in the other table. So it won't tell you which table it's in, but maybe your business rules mean that extra names can only ever be in the data table.

MrExcelPlayground16.xlsx
ABC
1JohnJohn
2FredFred
3HarryHarry
4HarrySam
5SamSally
6JohnMary
7FredMervin
8SallyGeorge
9Mary
Sheet26

with the following outputting a list of the two names that are only in one column.

Excel Formula:
=UNIQUE(VSTACK(UNIQUE(A1:A9),UNIQUE(C1:C8)),,TRUE)

Upvote 0
This formula will show all names that aren't in the other table. So it won't tell you which table it's in, but maybe your business rules mean that extra names can only ever be in the data table.

MrExcelPlayground16.xlsx
ABC
1JohnJohn
2FredFred
3HarryHarry
4HarrySam
5SamSally
6JohnMary
7FredMervin
8SallyGeorge
9Mary
Sheet26

with the following outputting a list of the two names that are only in one column.

Excel Formula:
=UNIQUE(VSTACK(UNIQUE(A1:A9),UNIQUE(C1:C8)),,TRUE)
Hi, Thats the closest I've been - see screen dump - It picks up the additional in data table at the top of the list, then it shows whats not on master table using SN as my trigger - this works if there is no way to only show extra in data table - Cheers.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-04-28 082138.png
    Screenshot 2023-04-28 082138.png
    86.9 KB · Views: 4
Upvote 0
Maybe something like this.

Data Sheet
Book3
ABC
1DataNot in Master
2FredFred
3MikeJune
4JuneDawn
5Mary
6Judy
7Dawn
Data
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C2:C4C2=FILTER(A2:A7,ISNA(MATCH(A2:A7,Master!A2:A5,0)))
Dynamic array formulas.

Master Sheet
Book3
A
1Master
2Sam
3Mike
4Mary
5Judy
Master

Upvote 0
Maybe something like this.

Data Sheet
Book3
ABC
1DataNot in Master
2FredFred
3MikeJune
4JuneDawn
5Mary
6Judy
7Dawn
Data
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C2:C4C2=FILTER(A2:A7,ISNA(MATCH(A2:A7,Master!A2:A5,0)))
Dynamic array formulas.

Master Sheet
Book3
A
1Master
2Sam
3Mike
4Mary
5Judy
Master
Hi, Tks for the quick reply - Looks like a good answer - I tried this and rewrote to suit my tables - but I get #CALC! - =FILTER('RPV Data'!B:B,ISNA(MATCH('RPV Data'!B:B,Staff!A:A,0))) - I also did try with a cell range but same error.

Upvote 0
Hi, Tks for the quick reply - Looks like a good answer - I tried this and rewrote to suit my tables - but I get #CALC! - =FILTER('RPV Data'!B:B,ISNA(MATCH('RPV Data'!B:B,Staff!A:A,0))) - I also did try with a cell range but same error.
Hi Update to the above =filter... - it does work, I jus added a new cell - but I need to add text if possible "No new" to stop to #CLAC! message

Upvote 0
Hi Update to the above =filter... - it does work, I jus added a new cell - but I need to add text if possible "No new" to stop to #CLAC! message
=FILTER('RPV Data'!B:B,ISNA(MATCH('RPV Data'!B:B,Staff!A:A,0)),"No New") - Works perfect - Tks for your help.

Upvote 0
You're welcome.
It's best not to use whole column references it can slow down and/or cause errors. If your data would never go below say row 100000 then use A2:A100000 etc,

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LSchleppi

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back