How to convert quarterly data to monthly data if I only have quarterly?

ab410

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,

I just started a new job and my manager has asked me to look into an existing spreadsheet we have. It contains quarterly data from the company's call centre, compiled for a previous project that looked into assessing how call agents performed and achieved KPIs on a quarterly basis. I've been tasked with changing this data to a monthly outlook on performance for a new project. I've been told the existing spreadsheet has all the data I need to start converting to monthly, but I have no idea how to do this.

All the data in the spreadsheet is sorted by quarters. There aren't any filters on the pivot tables that allow me to break it down to months, only to filter by quarter. I've seen online you can just divide the quarter by 3 to get a general idea of monthly performance, but I'm concerned this will not be an accurate picture of month-to-month changes.

If I have the data already sorted into quarters, is it possible to break this down to months as well? Or is this not possible if the data was input into the spreadsheet based on quarters?

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
you could use days and multiple by each day of a month and take into account weekends, holidays, seasonality etc , but to be honest, when i worked in performance improvement and Management information - dividing by 3 is probably OK
in fact a lot of our quarterly data was worked out over each month of a quarter as 4weeks , 4weeks, 5weeks - so i had to change that for trend.

if you take 2022 and use Jan 1st as the start of Q1 , then
Q1 has 90 days
Q2 has 91 days
Q3 has 92 days
Q4 has 92 days

Leap year like 2020 would change Q1 to 91days , so 91,91,92,92

Then once you start to factor in Bank holidays - any seasonality in the data , easter , Xmas , the error becomes somewhat less then simply dividing by 3

Also then how are KPI's worked out - if they have KPI for Qtr , to then adjust that KPI to factor in Xmas, Easter , bank holidays etc , i suspect they would simply divide the KPI by 3

Whats the consequences of this data - ie - is performance monthy actually going to impact Salary, commission, manpower or is it used as a trend to see how the quarter is progressing

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaagu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back