How to convert this formula into a custom Function??

Bryniac

"=MID(J2;FIND("@";J2)+1;LEN(J2)-FIND("@";J2)-(LEN(J2)-FIND(".";J2;FIND("@";J2)))-1)"

I have made this formula to extract the domain from an email, i mean it takes anything after the "@" and before the final dot.

What i want to do is to add this to an Add-in like a custom function i.e. "=DOMAIN()"

I can make basic and easy functions like this, but i don't know how to do it :confused::
Code:
Function CubeRoot(number)

CubeRoot = number ^ (1 / 3)

End Function

can someone please give me ideas, or tell me how to do it

Thanks in advance. :)

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
Code:
Function Domain(str As String) As String
    Domain = Mid$(str, InStr(1, str, "@") + 1, InStrRev(str, ".") - InStr(1, str, "@") - 1)
End Function

Upvote 0
This function will also work...
Code:
  Domain = Split(Split(str, ".")(0), "@")(1)
End Function

Upvote 0
Does this work with an email address of this type? j.bond@007.org
No, it won't (I had forgotten about other "dots" in email addresses), but this will...
Code:
  Domain = Split(Left(str, InStrRev(str, ".") - 1), "@")(1)
End Function
By the way, thanks for catching that problem.

Upvote 0
By the way, thanks for catching that problem.

No, thank you. I learn a lot from you by reading your posts. The split function was a new one to me.

May I ask what the zero and one are for in your original function and how they work?

In looking up the function I see there is limit argument and a compare argument, but I don't know which one of those you are using the zero and one for or how they work.

Upvote 0
May I ask what the zero and one are for in your original function and how they work?
When you reference an array element, say that array is name MyArray, you put the element's index number in parentheses after the array's reference, so if you wanted to reference the element whose index number was 5 from MyArray, you would write MyArray(5). The Split function return a zero-based array, so, like any other array, you can reference any element in the array by placing that index number in parentheses after the array's reference. So...

Split(SomeDelimitedString,TheDelimiter)

returns an array and...

Slit(SomeDelimitedString,TheDelimiter)(0)

returns the first element from that array (remember, Split always produces a zero-based array), and...

Slit(SomeDelimitedString,TheDelimiter)(1)

returns the second element, etc. Note that you would only want to use this "trick" to retrieve a single item from the array... if you had to retrieve several items, it would be more efficient to assign the result from the Split function to a variable and then read the elements from that (otherwise you would inefficiently be Split'ting the same text over and over again

Upvote 0
Here's one more possibility.

Code:

Domain = Split(Split(str, ".")(UBound(Split(str, ".")) - 1), "@")(1)

End Function

Upvote 0
Here's one more possibility.

Code:

Domain = Split(Split(str, ".")(UBound(Split(str, ".")) - 1), "@")(1)

End Function

Yes, you could do that, but the code is slightly inefficient because you are splitting the contents of the str variable two times, once to the array and a second time to get the upper bound of that same array. It would be better to split the text to a variable and then use that in place of the str argument calls, that way you only split the text once. By the way, the above is what I had in mind when I wrote this at the bottom of Message #7...

"Note that you would only want to use this "trick" to retrieve a single item from the array... if you had to retrieve several items, it would be more efficient to assign the result from the Split function to a variable and then read the elements from that (otherwise you would inefficiently be Split'ting the same text over and over again)."

Upvote 0
Rick,

Thanks for the reply.
At first I didn't even realize there were multiple arrays created by the split function, I thought it split at the delimiter and you were left with just a half. After your responded to my first question I couldn't help but start playing and I came up with what you see.
I didn't know what you meant by splitting multiple times, now I do.
Thanks for the education.

Bruce

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Narrian

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back