How to Count Only Weekdays but have the total Calmative For each week.

Jelsey

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello Again,
I am working on a Horizontal calendar to track days off work. I want to use the weekend columns to total the number of Days Off each week. However I want it to be cumulative. So in column H, would have the off days totaled from column C - G. and then in Column O would have the total days off from Column C - D and J - N, and column V would have the total days Off from Column C - D and J - N and Q - U (and so on). What would be a good approach for that?

1682362704154-png.90356

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
Try this:
mr excel questions 27.xlsm
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTU
1Sun 01-JanMon 02-JanTue 03-JanWed 04-JanThu 05-JanFri 06-JanSat 07-JanSun 08-JanMon 09-JanTue 10-JanWed 11-JanThu 12-JanFri 13-JanSat 14-JanSun 15-JanMon 16-JanTue 17-JanWed 18-JanThu 19-JanFri 20-JanSat 21-Jan
2Off1Off2Off3
Jelsey
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
G2,U2,N2G2=COUNTIF($B$2:F2,"Off")

you did not give your day off indicator, I am using typed in word of "Off" in the cell. But this formula should work in many other ways of identifying the day off.

Upvote 0
Try this:
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTU
1Sun 01-JanMon 02-JanTue 03-JanWed 04-JanThu 05-JanFri 06-JanSat 07-JanSun 08-JanMon 09-JanTue 10-JanWed 11-JanThu 12-JanFri 13-JanSat 14-JanSun 15-JanMon 16-JanTue 17-JanWed 18-JanThu 19-JanFri 20-JanSat 21-Jan
2Off1Off2Off3
Jelsey
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
G2,U2,N2G2=COUNTIF($B$2:F2,"Off")

you did not give your day off indicator, I am using typed in word of "Off" in the cell. But this formula should work in many other ways of identifying the day off.
You are correct. Apologies. I have the sheet set up like this (see below)

Each cell under a date is populated with .5 (half day off) 1 (full day off). I have table set to change color based on the value entered. 1 = light green. (First picture)

1682361486616.png

I received assistance in being able to total the calendar year with only Weekdays and excluding the weekend., Now, I'm attempting to use the column where the weekend is located to calculate the number of days off each week so it's a cumulative weekly total.

The issue I'm having is that the Grand total at the end of the calendar only calculates current/expected days off. For example, if someone puts in vacation time. It will apprea in the grand total, but more than half of thoes dates have not happened yet, so it is not completely accurate., However, if I do weekly totals, I can have the calendar accurate of all days off to todays current date.

Does that make sense?

1682361456350.png

Upvote 0
It doesn't make complete sense.
But let me try to ask some questions that may help.
Do you want half vs full days off separately (and displayed in the two columns of each week)?
What I gave you give cumulative weekly totals for OFF.
In one column of the "weekend" you can get full days off with
Excel Formula:
=COUNTIF($B$2:F2,1)
and half days off in the other column with
Excel Formula:
=COUNTIF($B$2:F2,.5)

and instead of Off use 1 for Full, and .5 for half.

Upvote 0
Sorry if there is confusion but I am more than happy to answer your questions for better clarity.

Yes, I would like to have half days and full days off expressed in the weekend columns.
So Saturday column shows the Full Day Off totals and Sunday column shows the Half Day totals..

The way I would like the sheet to work is at the end of week 1, in the weekend columns, I have the total days off for week 1.
Then at the end of week 2, in the weekend columns, I would like to have the total days off in week 2 + the total days off in week 1.

The idea is to not have to scroll back to the beginning of the calendar to check week by week, how many days someone took of. I would like to be able to check the current week (like the end of this week) and know from week #1 until now, how many days off were taken.

Ex. Today, right now, we are in the 17th week of the year 2023. We have completed 16 full weeks in the year so far. I would like to look at the end week #16 and know how many days off were taken from week #1 to week #16. However, I do not want to have to scroll back to week #1 and sum all the weekly totals up to week #16.

Similarly, If I looked at the end of week #8 I would like that number to reflect the number of days off from week #1 to week #8. Basically the end of each week should add the totals from all the prior weeks.

Does that help clear things up?

Upvote 0
yes, cleared up. ANd that is what I thought, and what those formulas should do. I'll post a mini in a minute.

Upvote 0
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUV
1Sun 01-JanMon 02-JanTue 03-JanWed 04-JanThu 05-JanFri 06-JanSat 07-JanSun 08-JanMon 09-JanTue 10-JanWed 11-JanThu 12-JanFri 13-JanSat 14-JanSun 15-JanMon 16-JanTue 17-JanWed 18-JanThu 19-JanFri 20-JanSat 21-JanSun 22-Jan
Jelsey
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
G2,U2,N2G2=SUM(IFERROR(--(WEEKDAY($B$1:F$1)={2;3;4;5;6})*(--($B2:E$2=1)),0))
H2,V2,O2H2=SUM(IFERROR(--(WEEKDAY($B$1:G$1)={2;3;4;5;6})*(--($B2:F$2=0.5)),0))

Upvote 0
You could try a formula like =SUM((WEEKDAY($B$1:F$1,2)<6)*($B2:F$2=1))

Upvote 0
You could try a formula like =SUM((WEEKDAY($B$1:F$1,2)<6)*($B2:F$2=1))
Dave, my system setting have Sunday as 1. But your formula is much shorter! and For some reason my formula got an error with the weekday check that I had to edit out.
Strange that yours doesn't.

Upvote 0
Weekday per Excel's help see Return Type

WEEKDAY function​

Excel for Microsoft 365 Excel for Microsoft 365 for Mac Excel for the web Excel 2021 More...
This article describes the formula syntax and usage of the WEEKDAY function in Microsoft Excel.

Description​

Returns the day of the week corresponding to a date. The day is given as an integer, ranging from 1 (Sunday) to 7 (Saturday), by default.

Syntax​

WEEKDAY(serial_number,[return_type])

The WEEKDAY function syntax has the following arguments:

• Serial_number Required. A sequential number that represents the date of the day you are trying to find. Dates should be entered by using the DATE function, or as results of other formulas or functions. For example, use DATE(2008,5,23) for the 23rd day of May, 2008. Problems can occur if dates are entered as text.
  • Return_type Optional. A number that determines the type of return value.
Return_typeNumber returned
1 or omittedNumbers 1 (Sunday) through 7 (Saturday). Behaves like previous versions of Microsoft Excel.
2Numbers 1 (Monday) through 7 (Sunday).

Upvote 1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chandan4057

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back