How to disable wrap text permanently?

man

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2021
Platform
  1. Windows
Sometimes I type text in a cell and the [Wrap Text] button automatic pressed down. (screenshot 1)

I do not want the [Wrap Text] button to be pressed down permanently. I want it to look like screenshot 2 permanently

How to disable wrap text permanently? Thanks.

screenshot 1
wrap text button is press down (i do not want).PNG

screenshot 2
wrap text button is not press down (i want it).PNG

Excel Facts

Test for Multiple Conditions in IF?
Use AND(test, test, test, test) or OR(test, test, test, ...) as the logical_test argument of IF.
Cross-posting (posting the same question in more than one forum) is not against our rules, but the method of doing so is covered by #13 of the Forum Rules.

Be sure to follow & read the link at the end of the rule too!

Cross posted at: How to prevent wrap text?
There is no need to repeat the link(s) provided above but if you have posted the question at other places, please provide links to those as well.

If you do cross-post in the future and also provide links, then there shouldn’t be a problem.

Upvote 0
You could try selecting the column(s)/sheet cells and then select format cells (Ctrl + 1 or right click) and then select the Alignment tab and deselect the wrap text option.

Please also note Fluffs advice on Cross posting.

Upvote 0
The default is for Wrap Text to be turned off. You said that you manually entered that text, was that really the case ? That is quite a bit of text to enter manually.
The Wrap Text getting turned on is more likely to be related on how you are getting the data into the spreadsheet.
Are you copying it in or importing it or using VBA ?
Another possibility is do you have Workbook (Book.xltx) or Sheet (Sheet.xltx) template in your startup folder (XLStart) that you are using ? And is Word Wrap turned on in that ?

PS: I believe you are using Excel 2021. It is not showing in your profile. Can you please you update your Account details (or click your user name at the top right of the forum) to show the new version number. It will save contributors from asking you each time you post a question.

Upvote 0
You could try selecting the column(s)/sheet cells and then select format cells (Ctrl + 1 or right click) and then select the Alignment tab and deselect the wrap text option.

Please also note Fluffs advice on Cross posting.
Your solution will work for one time so the next time I paste in some text into a cell I would need to redo the deselect wrap text procedure again. I am looking for a method to permanently never wrap text automatically by excel.

Upvote 0
The default is for Wrap Text to be turned off. You said that you manually entered that text, was that really the case ? That is quite a bit of text to enter manually.
The Wrap Text getting turned on is more likely to be related on how you are getting the data into the spreadsheet.
Are you copying it in or importing it or using VBA ?
Another possibility is do you have Workbook (Book.xltx) or Sheet (Sheet.xltx) template in your startup folder (XLStart) that you are using ? And is Word Wrap turned on in that ?

PS: I believe you are using Excel 2021. It is not showing in your profile. Can you please you update your Account details (or click your user name at the top right of the forum) to show the new version number. It will save contributors from asking you each time you post a question.
The screenshot are sample text to show what happened. Using Excel 2021.
Wrap Text will auto happen when I copy and paste into a cell. I forgot if it happened if I type in long text.
I am copy text from elsewhere and paste into excel, not importing or using VBA
What are "Workbook (Book.xltx) or Sheet (Sheet.xltx) template in your startup folder (XLStart) that you are using"? How to check? This is the first time I come across this. My sheet is .xlsx

My problem:
When I paste in text in a cell, the Wrap Text button is auto pressed by excel
e.g. copy text from post #4 and paste in text into Excel 2021 cell A3, this is the screenshot
wrap text button auto pressed down after i paste in text (i do not want).PNG

Then I manually click the Wrap Text button manually once to unpress the Wrap Text button, this is the screenshot (this is what i want it to look permanently for all cells)
wrap text button i manually click once to unpress it (i want it).PNG

Then if I click A3 cell and add or edit text in A3 cell, the Wrap Text button is auto pressed by excel, this is the screenshot
wrap text button auto pressed down after i paste in text (i do not want).PNG

I want the Wrap Text button to be unpressed permanently regardless of anything I do to the cell, how to do it? (if i want to read the contents of the cell i would click on the cell to read the contents displayed on the top (just below ribbon))

Thanks

Upvote 0
To "automatically' make the cell now change the Wrap would involve and Event macro or possible sheet protection and I think both will create more issues than it solves.
It seems to me that the main issue can be addressed simply by copying in your new data as Value only.
A straight copy-paste will bring in any formatting from the source data.

Since you seem to be using the mouse to unwrap consider putting the Paste-Values button on your quick access toolbar for easy access.
Goto to the Paste Drop down > right click on the first icon in the Paste Values group > Add .. to Quick Access Toolbar
Then use this to paste in the new data without bringing in the formatting with it.

Templates don't factor into this since using copy-paste will override anything setup in the template anyway.
If you want to know more about it here is a link:

1714269267410.png

Upvote 0
To "automatically' make the cell now change the Wrap would involve and Event macro or possible sheet protection and I think both will create more issues than it solves.
It seems to me that the main issue can be addressed simply by copying in your new data as Value only.
A straight copy-paste will bring in any formatting from the source data.

Since you seem to be using the mouse to unwrap consider putting the Paste-Values button on your quick access toolbar for easy access.
Goto to the Paste Drop down > right click on the first icon in the Paste Values group > Add .. to Quick Access Toolbar
Then use this to paste in the new data without bringing in the formatting with it.

Templates don't factor into this since using copy-paste will override anything setup in the template anyway.
If you want to know more about it here is a link:

View attachment 110617
I do not have Paste Values (screenshot below) so I unable to do "Add .. to Quick Access Toolbar" step.

I tried copy post #4 in this forum then I double click on A3 cell and then click on button 1 in my screenshot to paste, same problem auto Wrap Text by excel auto press the wrap text button happened as mentioned in post #6

I tried copy post #4 in this forum then I double click on A3 cell and then click on button 2 in my screenshot to paste, same problem auto Wrap Text by excel auto press the wrap text button happened as mentioned in post #6

I tried copy post #4 in this forum then I double click on A3 cell and then click on button 3 in my screenshot to paste, same problem auto Wrap Text by excel auto press the wrap text button happened as mentioned in post #6

I tried copy post #4 in this forum then paste into Notepad (my understanding is Notepad will not paste in any formatting from source data), then I copy text from Notepad then I double click on A3 cell and then click on button 1 in my screenshot to paste, same problem auto Wrap Text by excel auto press the wrap text button happened as mentioned in post #6

paste 1 2 3.png

Upvote 0
I tried copy post #4 in this forum then paste into Notepad (my understanding is Notepad will not paste in any formatting from source data), then I copy text from Notepad then I double click on A3 cell and then click on button 1 in my screenshot to paste, same problem auto Wrap Text by excel auto press the wrap text button happened as mentioned in post #6
This would be pretty damming but only if you reset the Wrap to No Wrap before you copied it in.

It looks like my Paste Special Values image wasn't clear. The icon you are using is not the Paste Values one.
The Paste Special Values icon looks like the below image
1714277165779.png

Start a new sheet or new workbook.
Use a different row for each time you experiment so that you are trying it in a clean cell.

• Goto your source data
• Ctrl+C
• Goto a previously unused cell on a new sheet and new row.
• Right click and select Paste Values from the menu - see image below

If you get that to work then we can talk about the various ways you can get to the Paste Values opton

1714277536332.png

Upvote 0
Unable to see the Paste Special Values icon looks like the below image
1714277165779.png

I copy all the text in post #4 then
if I single left click on one cell A1 then single right click I see this screenshot
single left click.PNG

if I double left click on one cell A1 then single right click I see this screenshot
double left click.PNG

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Adiadidas

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back