How to filter based on date?

XLstooge

Hi newbie here,
I don't have any macro knowledge but I am trying to create a macro that filters transaction records based on their aging days.
I need to filter transaction older than 2 months, 3 months, and so on. I don't know if it is possible to put the aging calculation on macro but I tried to calculate by excel worksheet formula and copy its value to my macro, no success.
Would somebody please give some knowledge. Been working on this for 4 days. :confused:

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
Hello,

This would be your sheet:
Excel Workbook
AB
1Criteria:Month ago:
25/23/20092
3**
4**
5**
6Date*
77/13/2009*
87/18/2009*
93/18/2009*
106/13/2009*
113/28/2009*
124/16/2009*
Sheet

Put formula in A2 and number of months to be filtered back from today in B2. Autofilter is in cell A6.

Then you can use this code:

<div style="background-color:#FFFFFF; border-width:2px; border-style: groove; border-color:#ff9966; padding:4px;"><pre><span style="font-family:Courier New,Arial; font-size:9pt ;" ><span style="color:#000080"; >Sub</span> Test()
Selection.AutoFilter Field:=1, Criteria1:=<span style="color:#800000"; >">"</span> & CDbl(Range(<span style="color:#800000"; >"A2"</span>).Value)
<span style="color:#000080"; >End</span> <span style="color:#000080"; >Sub</span></span></pre></div>

By changing cell B2 the autofilter-code will show different results depending on the value of this cell.

Respectively, if you only want to show dates more than e.g. 2 months ago, the operator in the code has to be amended:

<div style="background-color:#FFFFFF; border-width:2px; border-style: groove; border-color:#ff9966; padding:4px;"><pre><span style="font-family:Courier New,Arial; font-size:9pt ;" ><span style="color:#000080"; >Sub</span> Test2()
Selection.AutoFilter Field:=1, Criteria1:=<span style="color:#800000"; >"<"</span> & CDbl(Range(<span style="color:#800000"; >"A2"</span>).Value)
<span style="color:#000080"; >End</span> <span style="color:#000080"; >Sub</span></span></pre></div>

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Beate, thank you for quick response.
Can you explain what does this syntax do:
"CDbl(Range("A2").Value)" ?

I am still working on this using this macro:

Dim myDate As Date
myDate = CLng(Date) - 60
Range("A1").Select
Application.CutCopyMode = False
Selection.AutoFilter
Selection.AutoFilter Field:=14, Criteria1:="<" & myDate, Operator:=xlAnd

I think I'm getting good result filtering 2 months old transaction although I'm not sure what's this "Operator:=xlAnd" does.

Upvote 0
Hello,

you don't need the "Operator:=xlAnd" because you only filter for one criteria.

By the way, have you tested my example? The advantage is, that you can easily change the time frame by entering a different value in B2.

To understand CDbl search for "type conversion function". It is too difficult for me to explain it in English.

Upvote 0
Beate,
Thank you very much. I tried your method, it sure does have the luxury to change aging period as easy as typing a simple number!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back