how to find the 3rd largest number in a multi dimensional lookup

g2506

Hi everyone,

I would like to know where I would need to include the Large(array,number) function in the formula below in order to get the 3rd largest number from column "am". Please tell me what is needed to complete this.(thanks)

=IF(COUNTIFS('Keyword report'!AM:AM,">0",'Keyword report'!AK:AK,G10:AD10),INDEX('Keyword report'!AJ:AO,MATCH(G10:AD10,'Keyword report'!AK5:AK1048576,0),MATCH('Keyword report'!AJ4,'Keyword report'!AJ4:AO4,0)),"--None--")

The array structure is as follows:
<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" height="91" width="471"><colgroup><col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:8777;width:180pt" width="240"> <col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:7424;width:152pt" width="203"> <col style="width:48pt" span="4" width="64"> </colgroup><tbody><tr style="mso-height-source:userset;height:39.75pt" height="53"> <td style="height:39.75pt;width:180pt" height="53" width="240">aj</td> <td style="width:152pt" width="203">ak</td> <td style="width:48pt" width="64">al</td> <td style="width:48pt" width="64">am</td> <td style="width:48pt" width="64">an</td> <td style="width:48pt" width="64">ao</td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.0pt" height="20"> <td class="xl68" style="height:15.0pt" height="20">Keyword</td> <td class="xl68">Campaign</td> <td class="xl68">Clicks</td> <td class="xl67">Imp</td> <td class="xl68">Cost</td> <td class="xl68">Conv.</td></tr></tbody></table>

Excel Facts

What is =ROMAN(40) in Excel?
The Roman numeral for 40 is XL. Bill "MrExcel" Jelen's 40th book was called MrExcel XL.
Hi, welcome to the board.

If you're sure that you want to pull the 3rd largest number from Column AM, then this isn't actually a 3d array for that specific analysis.
You need something like this
Code:
=Large(am1:am10,3)

Bear in mind that the large function may not deal with duplicate values the way you want to.

If, on the other hand, you are not certain that the 3rd largest value is actually in Col AM, and it could be in other columns, then you do have some kind of 3d array.
There are probably ways of handling that - can you give more details about your situation please ?

Upvote 0
Thank you for the reply.

What I really want to do is to get the 3rd keyword from column "aj". I want to get the 3rd keyword based on the 3rd largest number in column "am". I now that the "large" function should help me, but i'm not able to figure out where in the formula to apply it.

I tried to apply it around the "value" argument of the match function, and I also tried to apply it around the "array argument" of the match function.

This formula currently works on getting the keyword with the highest number from column "am". I want to try and get the 3rd largest number by using the "large" function.

Please let me know if you have additional questions, so that you can help me solve this.

thanks,
g

Upvote 0
Ah, so you want to find the keyword from col AJ that corresponds to the 3rd largest number in col AM ?

Here goes.

The formula I gave you earlier will tell you what the 3rd largest number is (bear in mind what I said about duplicate values).

What you need to do next is find the position of that value, in col AM, and the MATCH function will do this for you.
Code:
=MATCH(LARGE(AM1:AM10,3),AM1:AM10,0)
For example, if the 3rd largest value happens to be in AM6, then the above will return 6.

Finally, you need to find the 6th value in col AJ (or whatever value is returned by the match function)
Code:
=INDEX(AJ1:AJ10,MATCH(LARGE(AM1:AM10,3),AM1:AM10,0))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaagu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back