How to help first-time posters

Link added to New User Notice, which I've also activated for everyone to see (temporarily).

Excel Facts

Which Excel functions can ignore hidden rows?
The SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE functions ignore hidden rows. AGGREGATE can also exclude error cells and more.
Link added to New User Notice, which I've also activated for everyone to see (temporarily).

I like it Starl!

Just me being nit-pickey... you forgot a period at the end. Also, should it be "For more instruction" or "For more instructions"? :biggrin:

Thanks Tracy, that's helpful to be reminded of what new users see (or at least have the chance to see).

Just me being nit-pickey...
Far too so I'd say since this is an Excel site not an English spelling/grammar site. Otherwise I'd be tempted to ask whether it should be "nit-pickey" or "nit-picky" or "nitpicky"?

Also, should it be "For more instruction" or "For more instructions"? :biggrin:
In my mind either one is correct. You can go to the link to read more instructions or to receive more instruction.

that's being a bit knitpicky isn't it =)

tongue in cheek:

direct new posters to this thread and they will see how frustrating it is to field convoluted illexplained questions with sensible solutions, especially when they dont stick around long to expand their OP.

tongue out of cheek again :)

you know, my pet hate in a post:

Dear everyone, help me with my problem which i cant explain.

bump

BUMP

come on guys******** BUMP

you know, my pet hate in a post:

Dear everyone, help me with my problem which i cant explain.

bump

BUMP

come on guys******** BUMP

What they don't realize is that as soon as it's bumped more than once, those of us who don't want to jump into the middle of someone else's solution will skip over their question completely, looking for a post with no replies, or a post with only 1 reply that's been asked and replied to by the same person.

Every now and then I browse posts that have a few responses, but only if the subject matter seems interesting...certainly not if the title is "Need Help ASAP!" :eek:
Cindy

What they don't realize is that as soon as it's bumped more than once, those of us who don't want to jump into the middle of someone else's solution will skip over their question completely, looking for a post with no replies, or a post with only 1 reply that's been asked and replied to by the same person.

Every now and then I browse posts that have a few responses, but only if the subject matter seems interesting...certainly not if the title is "Need Help ASAP!" :eek:
Cindy

You hit the nail on the head Cindy.

I look for threads that have no replies, or I check who was the last to reply, if it was the same person who created the thread then I will take a look.

I'll be darned. *Another* thread containing stuff I'm interested in. Now behave everyone so this won't disappear too!:p

To be honest, I don't think the new users are going to read that.

I think the best way to deal with this very common problem is to create a little script to check the number of posts a user has; if it's less than (say) 10, pop up a message box telling them (briefly) to be descriptive.

Something in-line like this notice will be skipped over because there is already a lot going on in the top half of each page.

If you want to get their attention, pop something up into their face a few times.

Also, I'm not sure if first-time posters is the issue. I see a LOT of posters (some with over 1000 posts) continue, time and time again, posting questions that take 5-6 followup posts until their question becomes clear. Yes, this is sometimes needed, but more often than not it could have been remedied with a better first post.

These folks (along with the "I need help" topics) need to have thier posts deleted and be sent a message to try again when tey learn to communicate their needs more effectively.

Sounds rude, but there is waaayyy too much traffic on this board.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
accessbob

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back